Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multisession for DVD-R as data disk

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have been trying to consolidate various files on DVD-R as a Data DVD using Nero 7 Ultra, but after I burn the first session and try to add more files later, it not only will not accept the said DVD but it will not even cache the previously burned files. Am I to understand that you cannot make a multi-session data disk on a DVD-R? The disk being used is a Verbatim 4.7Gb DVD-R

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can make multi-session DVDs in the same way as Windows makes multi-session CDs, but they don't enjoy general compatibility across all hardware available, plus support for this is generally non-existent in versions of Windows earlier than XP.

Windows XP will only show the LAST session on a multi-session disc (DVD or CD), but when you burn a multi-session disc in Nero or other burning software the default is to import references to all files written in previous sessions, so the last session will usually contain the files you just added as well as all the files previously written.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Well I tried it again using another DVD-R and made sure that multisession was checked off bu this time it did cache the previous files and showed them in shadow, and I added more files, but when I went to burn I got a burn failure. So maybe I'll just have to go back to making CD Data disks.