Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor External USB Hard Drive not found

• Please log in to reply

Davidpm

Davidpm

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,
I have an external Maxtor drive. I was trying to load Ubuntu on the drive in order to use it to boot up an old laptop with a failed internal hard drive. i was able to successfully load Ubunutu onto this drive, however, now my Windows XP PC won't detect the drive at all so that I can reformat/repartition the drive to be used in windows again. The drive is powered on and I can feel it spinning. How can I get this drive to be located by Windows XP again?

Thanks!

D

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP does not talk to Linux partitions. Go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and rip the partitions out and make new ones.

Davidpm

Davidpm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
thanks for the response.

i tried doing that and i don't see the linux partition at all. I see "Disk 0" which is my C: drive and a "Disk 1" which is my secondary drive that also dual boots to linux. Other then that, just two CD drives.

Is there a way to use some kind of boot CD to find it outside of windows?