Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need networking help

• Please log in to reply

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hey y'all. :) I am at wits' end. I recently had a nightmare of a time getting my Linksys Wireless G router to work. Got that taken care of, thankfully. I ended up having to reset it to factory settings, and spoofing the pc mac address.

So anyway, I have no wireless network now for my daughters' laptops. :) We ran through the Wireless connection wizard, only to receive an error message pointing me to THIS ARTICLE.

Followed those steps, rebooted both machines (my computer DID have the service already started. The laptop did not. After a reboot: it keeps going back to NOT started.) Nothing is helping.

I should note I had a previous wireless network set up on here, using the same router and machines, and it worked fine. I moved last weekend, and Comcast made me get their newer cable modem. Ever since then, nothing is working right. :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

My computer is a custom built one, running Windows XP Pro SP2. Ashley's laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520, also running XP Home SP2.

One other thing to note, though I don't know if it helps: When I tried to manually force her laptop to recognize the network, it claims there is no wireless card installed. I know there is, b/c when you click on the little "bars" down near the clock for wireless connections, it shows two networks available from neighbors. :) It wouldn't see those if the card wasn't working properly, would it?

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
We did the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. That didn't help, either.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
Hello Kat, I'll give this a go :)

First, can you even see your wireless network when you bring up the Available Wireless Networks? If it's not showing up, make sure that the SSID is being broadcast.

Secondly, what's the model of the router and what encryption method are you using?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
I hope GG doesn't mind, Just adding some more possibilities.

Also if you log on to the router check if you're broadcasting the SSID.
If you've reset to factory default the encryption key is also bound to be reset, I hope you reconfigured that? :)
Reading you had to spoof a mac address I assume you enabled the MAC Filter. Try turning this off for testing purposes.

Regards,
Olrik

EDIT: Typos fixed :)

Edited by Artellos, 22 May 2008 - 03:00 AM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Thanks guys. Just a note: I'll be leaving town in about an hour, and won't be back until Friday afternoon. I'll check back then, and try the things you've suggested. :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
When we bring up available wireless networks on the laptop, mine does not show up, no.

Changed SSID to enable. It was disabled.

I'm using a Linksys Wireless G WRT54GS router.

I'm using WEP encryption.

Turned off Mac filtering

And

it's quite possible I didn't set it up correctly to begin with. *sigh* My old network was set up by someone else.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Have you tried connecting to the network now that you changed the WEP key and disabled MAC Filter?
Any more information for an Update? :)

Regards,
Olrik

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hey y'all! :) I just got home a bit ago from our trip. Ashley has her laptop with her on HER trip up to her fiancee's mothers. She'll be back on Sunday, and I'll try again. Sorry it's taking so long.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
No worries Kat :)
Things happen and it's not that either GG or Me will leave this forum any time soon :)

Regards,
Olrik

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Things happen and it's not that either GG or Me will leave this forum any time soon :)

Good to know. :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Thanks, guys! After doing the above, the network was working perfectly unsecured. Fenor called me, and walked me through re-securing it. :)

We're now up and running the laptops wirelessly! Y'all rock :) (especially Fenor)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Glad to know it works!
:) Fenor!

Regards,
Olrik