Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

atrociously slow internet speed

• Please log in to reply

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well I'm trying to use the internet, but the speed is atrocious! I can't play my games either, so I'm sure it isn't just an http problem. Right now, I am trying to watch the finale of NCIS online, but it will play about five seconds, stop, load, buffer, play, stop, load, buffer, etc. In youtube, I have to wait at least 20 minutes for the red bar to get to the end on a three minute video. On my wireless, I have turned on afterburner, XPress, etc to try to boost it, but no go. Right now, while "watching" the show, my router is showing very minute activity, and my Networking tab of the task manager shows 0% network utilization for my wireless network connection. When I hover over the wireless icon, it says that the speed is 54Mbps.
I have run SAS, MBAM, AVG, and HJT if anybody wants any logs. Everything came up clean, except for the expected tracking cookies SAS found.
This internet problem happens in IE, FireFox, and Safari, and affects my games and pings as well. Speaking of pings, my tracert to anywhere (dell.com in this case) shows step 1 being my router and step 3 being ge-5-2-ur01.saltlakecity.ut.utah.comcast.net, with a "Request timed out" for step two. Does the tracert indicate a problem with comcast?
I think my mom's laptop has the same problem, but I'm not sure because it's a kinda slow computer anyways.
[EDIT] I can confirm that my mom's laptop and the desktop all time out on step 2 of a tracert, and mom says "yeah, I guess" when I asked her if the internet is slow. [/EDIT]
I don't know what do do anymore, I am struggling and need my internet! :)

Here's the important hardware specs:
Dell Inspiron 1520
Windows XP
Dell 1390 Wireless card (Broadcom based)
Linksys WRT54G v5 and Linksys WRT54G v8.2
v8.2 acting as WAP
Both have DD-WRT micro firmware.

Edited by The Admiral, 21 May 2008 - 04:45 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey The Admiral!

I would love to see that tracert log.
Also what ISP are you using?
Do you have the same problems if you're using a Wire instead of wireless?

Regards,
Olrik