Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

It is a mess

• Please log in to reply

katamondo

katamondo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I think I mess up some and need help.I tried to upgrade from xp home to xp professional.Everything looled fine but now it is a mess.The upgrde never pass the initial setup process and the computer keeps reboot.Idid not backup my files.Can I go back to xp home.I'm not able to access safe mode.Any help I would appreciated.

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
It looks like you installed your Windows XP Professional over Windows XP Home, without backing up and formatting first.

You must backup all your personal files, format your Hard Drive, then do a fresh install of what ever Operating System you have.

Can you login into Windows at all?

If not then at what point does your computer reboot when booting up? The Windows XP Loading Screen?

Edited by PILL5B3RRY, 21 May 2008 - 05:26 PM.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If you can, probably the best way to retrieve your data is to put the hdd in an external caddy and plug it into another machine. From there you should be able to access your data and save it.

katamondo

katamondo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply.I think it is comlicated here.I had xp home on c partion, on d partion is expired evaluation version of pro.Now the xp upgrade not passing the setup it copied all files but it is just keep reboot and never passed that point.Is it possible to do anything without losing my data.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
ok... Were you trying to upgrade the home from the pro eval on the d drive? :) Because if not, I'm not sure what the evaluation version has to do with anything...

I think your best (and safest) bet for getting the data is to yank the hard drive and put it in a caddy attached to another computer. If the data is still on the drive, then you *should* be able to access it from there.

katamondo

katamondo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No I was upgrading the home using another pro cd.The evaluation version expired long time.I was about to format the hard drive but i couldn't wait.Now the main issue is to access my data.Can you guide me how to access my data again.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You can always open your computer, take out the hard drive, and slave it to another computer.

A more detailed explanation on how to do this can be found here.

If you don't want to do that, you can always buy a Hard Driver Adapter, so it will make your Hard Drive external.

After you extract the data you want, please scan it with a virus scanner to make sure no bad remnants of viruses or malware was left on any of your files.

When done with that, go on with installing XP Pro, but remember to format everything so that your installation doesn't get corrupted.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

katamondo

katamondo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the update.I will go with your solution and will reply back with the result.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK good luck

PILL5B3RRY

katamondo

katamondo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here is another problem.I purchased Dynex HD enclosure but when I connected to my other Vista machine it didn't work.I get notification of the installed hardware but it is not anywhere.I think all the connection are fine.Any suggestions.

mikhael

mikhael

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
This might rock the boat a little but you could always DL slax. its a live cd (boots an OS from the cd) you can put the cd in the drive turn the computer on and it will load into slax instaed of windows. then plug an external drive into the machine (ext HD or usb thumbdrive depending on how much data you need to backup) then just drag from the old windows HD onto the ext usb drive. This will avoid having to remove the HD and all that jaz.

DL Slax http://www.slax.org/...hp?download=iso
Burn it and reboot with in drive
once loaded plug in usb HD or thumb drive
drag files from bad windows drive to usb HD or thumbdrive

Enjoy!

katamondo

katamondo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I ran Slax from the cd which i am guessing is windows not the hard drive.Can you guide me how to backup my files to my seagate external hard drive.Slax sreen it doesn't look familiar to me.How to mount my c and d drives.

katamondo

katamondo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok I tried slax but i guess no luck.The hard drive enclosure i tried a second one from circuicity it didn't work.My other machine is windows vista but I don't see the hard drive anywhere.Is there any other option i can try i got valuabe data on that hard drive any help is really appreciated.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Is your drive a SATA drive or an IDE drive? If it's an IDE I believe the jumpers need to be set to Master in order for it to work properly in another computer

katamondo

katamondo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The hard drive is IDE how I do it master can you go easy to explain.