Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start after putting in Videocard

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hey G2G, I recently bought a PNY GeForce 6200 PCI (I don't have a PCI-E slot) and whenever I try to start the computer it sounds two short beeps and then does nothing. It's a Dell Dimension E310, is this videocard seriously not going to work? What a bummer.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, 2 beeps is the BIOS code for dell that says you have no video.

You are kinda sketchy on your setup on the computer. Did you have On-board video? If so, did you go into the bios and disable the on-board video before installing the video card? If not, then do so now. After disabling the on-board video you should be able to get video thru the new video card, although it will be terrible looking because you have not installed the drivers yet. If you do get vidoeo then go ahead and install the geforce drivers.

If you still do NOT get any video after disabling the on-board video then i would return(RMA) the video card fro a replacement.

SRX660

Joeturf

Joeturf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Yes, I have an onboard video for my computer. I'm not sure how to disable it though - I've never installed a videocard before, I'm just following the manual! :) .

I think pressing F2 on startup got me into BIOS settings but I don't see any option that lets me disable the onboard video. It let me set, if I had two videocards, which videocard it would use, but it was already set on using the "add-on videocard" instead of the onboard one. Does that mean it's disabled?

Thanks for the help!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, it means the BIOS is capable of disabling the on-board video chipset when you add a video card into the computer. Now, it would seem it is time to replace the video card with one that works. That is the real thiong about installing video cards. They usually just plain work but need drivers installed to have the correct display properties. If it does not work then its usually because the video card is dead.

SRX660