Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP MCE 2005 Issues

• Please log in to reply

RQRyan

RQRyan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running Windows XP MCE 2005. Yesterday my computer automatically installed updates from windows. A few hours later my computer turned off automatically and restarted and could not run windows due to windows\system32\hal.dll being missing or corrupt.
I have read a series of ways to correct the problem, except... I dont have my windows installation CD for the MCE, and i dont have a floppy drive on my computer, solely a cdrom. I do however have a Windows xp service pack 2 Installation cd. Can i use that instead or will it not work.
Any help with any of these issues would be great! thanks

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Please read this article on how to restore hal.dll from the Windows XP CD.

BobbieM91

BobbieM91

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having the same problem with my computer. I can not reload windows xp 2005 mce. I will not go past the set up. I have a Dell 9100 with the upgraded video/sound card. Click me!"]Windows will not load[/post]So far, my hard drive, my mother board have been replace with the same problem reoccuring when I go to load the operating system. It will load windows, go to set up and then goes back to the logo screen and no farther. Do I need to load 3rd party drivers for the raid/sc?? before windows will load. The Techs at Dell say not, but they can't seem to get past this problem after a week of talking to them and replacing most of my hardware.