Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Socket Read Error

• Please log in to reply

BalletPointe

BalletPointe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

The long term problem i have with my computer is that about one third of pages i try to access fail to appear and i get either:

A) Cant read URL Socket Read Failed.

or

B)Socket Read Failed In Transfer Loop.

I have tried using different Browsers (Mozilla Firefox and Opera ) in addition to my usual IE6 but the problem remains the same (OS Win ME).

I have run Spybot, Adaware and Norton Antivirus which can find no problems .

Maybe i have to download an extra plugin from somewhere ( i already have Flash installed).

All advice welcome !. Thankyou.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, there's a problem you don't see every day...well, ever...

think of a socket as a connection, so a socket read failure means that the connection has fouled somehow....could be something sitting inside the tcpip stack, a faulty malware program, or it could be a basic windows failure.

Let's start with the obvious.

If you would post a hijackthis log and can take a look at what programs you have running and take a quick peak at malware issues. If you have malware, I will forward you to the malware forum where the malware experts can take care of you