Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad experience with whancer, Windows Update busted

• Please log in to reply

JacDX

JacDX

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yesterday, after some time, i turned on my old Windows XP computer. What i found out is that for some reason, and in some way i cant even imagine, it was infected by a webhancer based adware: so it suddenly showed a window saying "to prove ownership type the following letters" that i ignored and to wich i promptly rebooted.
After boot however, my whole desktop was replaced by a saying to "click here and install our security software.. (or something) ". I didnt. Task manager and Windows Update also didnt work. After much fiddling (by then it was,like, midnight) i managed to find out i had a whancer adware and uninstalled it, by the simple mean of using the control panel: at that point, i reenabled task manager from the admin console and could also restore the wallpaper.
Windows update still doesnt work tho: automatic updates seems to be enabled from the control panel, but not in the security console screen - i also get a tray popup from it; the service used for manual updating is also disabled and won't start (doesnt even tell the reason).
At this time i'm at work, so i cant readily provide more information or try solutions for the next two hours - if anyone could provide me with the right advice, however, i'd be thankful to him for life. I will have a hijack this log ready after i get back home.

JacDX

PS - excuse me for not using standard terms in relation to components and services, but i have the italian version of Windows XP

Edited by JacDX, 23 May 2008 - 03:32 AM.

Advertisements

JacDX

JacDX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's great! finding this forum really was the solution to my problem, even before someone had time to answer my request. What i did was simply following the Malware removal FAQ: by using a combination of superantispyware, malwarebytes and spybot any remaining trace of the infection was removed.

So, i must say thanks especially to Don77, who posted here his wonderful guide.
I will keep hanging around your forums for a while, anyway, in hopes of learning some more useful methods of keeping my comp safe.

Cya,

Jac