Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Getting more free space

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
My Dell 3000 desktop (with XP and 33GB of hard drive) has only 1.1 GB free. As it is acting sluggish Id like to get that to 5GB free.

Is there a way to see how much each of my programs is consuming?

Is there a tip sheet or recommendations on how to go about efficiently selecting which files to delete?

Someone has suggested software that will eliminate little-used programs but I am reluctant to try that, for fear of making a disastrous mistake.

Id welcome suggestions. Thanks.

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK. Here is a list of things you can do to free up some space:

1. Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

This will free up a lot of space as it searches through many temporary files and folders.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Run Disk Cleanup. This will also look through temporary files and folders.

Go to Start>Run>cleanmgr

Select your primary Drive, usually C

When its done searching, select everything and then click on the More Options tab. In the bottom, where it says System Restore, click Clean Up. This will remove all but the most recent restore point. This is up to, but remember that you will not be able to restore your computer to an earlier point than your most recent one. When that is done, click OK, then Yes.

3. Next, run Disk Defragmenter. See this webpage on how to use Disk Defragmenter.

Tell me how much free space you have on your disk now and i'll get back to you.

Regards,

PILL5B3RRY