Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

B*stard Explorer

• Please log in to reply

youngest78

youngest78

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong sub-forum, I couldn't see any relevant category so I just went for the operating system one.
Basically my explorer has been giving me a hard time for a while now and no matter how many anti-virus, malware, spyware programmes etc that i run (and i do, constantly) it still keeps happening. Every time i open explorer it freezes and not until i control, al, delete and close it that way can i do anything on my laptop. It happens every time, it doesn't vary on how long it's open for or where browse in it, it just seems to be a stubborn problem with explorer as nothing else on my laptop seems affected.
Does anybody have any suggestions on possible causes and more importantly solutions?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I assume that you talk about Internet Explorer and not Windows Explorer. If correct, and if it's version 7.0, then check in Add/Remove program and uninstall it. This will roll you back to IE 6.0. Please let us know what happens.

youngest78

youngest78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry, no, I should have made that a bit clearer. It's actually windows explorer which is causing me this grief - very odd to say the least?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please write down the make and model of your computer.

If you have XP installation insert it to drive, click Start and then click Run. In the dialog box type sfc /scannow (please note the space in the command) and press Enter. Let the process run to the end.

If that doesn't work you will have to perform XP repair as per instructions in the link in my list below.

youngest78

youngest78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
Unfortunately I've turned my house upside down looking but it doesn't appear I have an XP installation disc so your XP repair page has me foxed too. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400.
Any other way i can get the XP installation?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Yep.. contact Dell and see if you can get a replacement sent to you.

Murray

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If possible, try to borrow an XP installation CD of the same version installed on your computer. Run sfc /scannow as instructed. This is perfectly legal. The worse that can happen is that you will be notified that the disk is not suitable.

You can even try XP repair using the product key of your own computer. This is not advisable, however, because you will have to look for all your drivers in addition to Windows Updates which will be lost anyway.