Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply

Cthulhu4u

Cthulhu4u

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a newish, although refurbished, Dell machine and I'm having some trouble with the DVDRW Drive. When I first got the machine, which runs Vista, the drive would read/write any kind of CD or DVD or writable media I put in it. Then it stopped reading duel layer DVDS, but would still read other DVDS and CDs and write anything I wanted. Now, it will not even recognize that I have put a blank DVD in the drive, nor will it read a DVD. It will read any CD I put in though. I'm stumped. I don't know if it is a driver/Vista problem or a hardware issue. I have thought about doing a format/reinstall, but I'm afraid my drive won't read the restore disk if I start. I burned about 40 dvds, but that surely can't have been enough to ware it out can it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DVD laser is probably burned out. Cheaper to replace the drive. A format and reinstall doesn't cure a dead laser, and in the case of Vista, since the disk is DVD anyway, the drive wouldn't be able to read it anyway if the laser is gone.

Cthulhu4u

Cthulhu4u

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is that normal, for a lazer to go out after like 40 burns? If I buy another one, say an external, can I expect a longer life from it. Also, are there two lazers in the drive, one for CD and one for DVD?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
40 burns is possibly on the low side, but don't forget the same dual-purpose laser is also used for reading and writing, so you will have used it a lot more than 40 times overall. Most drives have separate lasers for CD and DVD so its entirely possible for a DVD Writer to stop reading DVDs and continue to read CDs.