Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot get into Windows in any way, shape, or form

• Please log in to reply

superhuman

superhuman

• Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, so this problem is relatively complicated. I am trying to fix a friend's Gateway laptop. When attempting to boot it up, it goes to the screen giving options for entering safe mode. Attempting to enter safe mode results in the computer rebooting after failing to successfully load Windows. When attempting to enter safe mode with a command prompt, a list of files scrolls by very quickly and freezes on a file called agpCPQ.sys before eventually restarting. Occasionally these reboots lead to the BSOD.

When booting from the Windows XP CD, the setup makes it to the point that I can attempt a fresh install or repair, but when either option is selected, it freezes on "Examining 76320MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi".

In a nutshell, I can't boot in normal mode, I can't boot in safe mode, I can't reinstall such that I can reformat the hard drive, and I can't repair the installation. Somehow, I need to wipe the computer and start anew; until I can do so, the computer is useless.

Please help!

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Please view this Topic and see if its any help.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

superhuman

superhuman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Please view this Topic and see if its any help.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

I did see that thread. I didn't see anything that would help in there, though.

I can't perform the repair installation... or even the full reinstall. I don't need to save anything on the system; I am fine with wiping it and starting over... but I can't even get to the point that I can do that.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Try getting your Hard Driver and slaving it to another computer.

In other words, disconnect your hard drive from your computer, and connect it to a friends and format it through there.

This will involve opening your computer and your friend's computer, so please be careful.

Please view this article on how to slave your Hard Drive.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

superhuman

superhuman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Try getting your Hard Driver and slaving it to another computer.

In other words, disconnect your hard drive from your computer, and connect it to a friends and format it through there.

This will involve opening your computer and your friend's computer, so please be careful.

Please view this article on how to slave your Hard Drive.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

Ah, therein lies the problem... the second computer is a laptop.

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
You can always use a friends computer or you can buy a Hard Drive Adapter.

Take a look at this product. You can use this to extract data from your hard drive.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

superhuman

superhuman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You can always use a friends computer or you can buy a Hard Drive Adapter.

Take a look at this product. You can use this to extract data from your hard drive.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

The broken computer is the one that is a laptop. Mine is a desktop. I'm very familiar with the internals of my computer (I built it), but I've never owned (let alone opened) a laptop. Can I just open it up and pop the hard drive out pretty easily?

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Wait I think I might be confused.

Please clarify for me, the broken computer is the Laptop.

The laptop is one that cannot boot at all.

The good computer is a Desktop.

Is all this correct?

superhuman

superhuman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Wait I think I might be confused.

Please clarify for me, the broken computer is the Laptop.

The laptop is one that cannot boot at all.

The good computer is a Desktop.

Is all this correct?

You got it!

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK I think I found the perfect article for you.

As I am not very good with the insides of a computer, I refer to online articles on how to do stuff, such as replacing a CD Drive.

Anyways, please go here and see how to connect your laptop Hard Driver to your Desktop Computer.

Good Luck,

PILL5B3RRY

superhuman

superhuman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great, thanks for all the help! I will investigate this avenue as soon as I can get my hands on an adapter like that.

Thanks again!

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK. Glad to help.