Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot record sound with mic

• Please log in to reply

thajoker

thajoker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,

My name is Angus and thanks for attending to this post. Lately, I've wante to chat with friends online and record some music so i decided to buy a mic. I ended up buying the Logitech Clearchat. I plugged the headset correctly into the corresponding ports on my Sound Card, CREATIVE SB Audigy (Very old, yes I know but better than nothing :) ) I was able to hear the sound in the heaset but I was unable to record sound. When I ran sound recorder under accessories no sound was detected. I was sure the mic was on. After failing to record sound I started messing with the settings in the sound and audio properties. I made sure i selected microphone and that the volume was max. Since that didnt work I even tried switching to Line-In and even to the extent of using my onboard sound ports insead of my soundcard but no luck. So i decided to borrow a friends mic and that also didnt work. However whenever i plugged this stand-alone mic into the light blue port, it made a little "boom" sound from my speakers but still no luck recording sound after that. I tried messing with the SB Audigy Settings the same way i did with the Windows XP settings but stil no luck. I am totally out of ideas and havetried all the possible combinations regarding settings. I am really looking forward to your help and I understand that you are using your own personal time to help. I really appreciate it and thanks in advance.

`angus.

Advertisements

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
sigh. ive been waiting for the past week and still no response. If only the hardware support on geeks2go was as effecient as its malware removal staff.

commie

commie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Angus,

2 options.

#1) Go to the little speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Right click on it and bring up "Open Volume Control." Then go to >Options>Properties. Click the "recording" bubble. Then hit Ok. The "Recording Control" Window should pop up. Make sure the "Microphone" is selected. Then try recording a sound.

#2) Usually on Soundblaster stuff the Mic In is a Pink jack. Are you sure it's plugging into the right port?

Hope this works.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey commie thanks for attending to this post. as you can tell ive been waitin for sum1 like you to help me. Anyways im afraid your advice didnt resolve my problem as I have tried everything you have said before this post. And yes I am sure that my mic is plugged into the pink port and I have tried various mics so I am quite confident that the problem is not with my mics

commie

commie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
sometimes the soundblaster settings and windows sound settings conflict. i would open both the sb settings and the windows sound settings at the same time and tease them

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey commie thanks again for your reply. actually I have tried changing the soundblaster settings before your advicebut still i had no luck. to make sure the SB settings and Windows settings dont conflict i checked the SB settings again. In my opinion it should befine but I will tell you my SB settings nonetheless so maybe you can give me some feedback asto what the possible errors might be.

Wave: MAX
MIDI: MAX
CD AUDIO: MAX
LINE-IN: MUTED
MICROPHONE: MAX
S/PDIF-IN: MUTED
REC. - MICROPHONE: MAX

also, I made sure that MICROPHONE was selected in Windows sound. thanks again.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
someone please help me resolve this problem. I am dying for an answer.

commie

commie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
How much do you know about the inside of your computer?

I would recommend unplugging your computer, opening your case, gently removing and then replacing your sound card, and see it if works.

If you don't have a sound card, what sound driver does your motherboard use?

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
by replacing you mean just getting a new sound card? or do you mean remove and reinsert it? Anyways, Im using the SB Live! 24-Bit Sound Card. Thanks for your advice I will definitely try it.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I recently had the same troubles. I first had to update the driver for my soundcard. I still couldn't get the microphone to work, so one of the other Geeks here had me uninstall Soundblaster, and then rebooting the computer, making sure the mic was plugged in. The computer automatically re-detected the mic, reinstalled what it needed to, and everything worked perfectly after that.

Also, go into your control panel, and choose "Sounds and audio". Click on the Audio tab, and make sure the correct programs are highlighted. Also, try enabling "Microphone Boost" in the same area, under Audio>Sound recording>Volume>Advanced button.

Lastly, in that same "recording control" tab you just enabled Mic boost in, click on Options>Properties, click "Recording", and select all three circles at the bottom.

Hope you have some success now :)

commie

commie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

by replacing you mean just getting a new sound card? or do you mean remove and reinsert it? Anyways, Im using the SB Live! 24-Bit Sound Card. Thanks for your advice I will definitely try it.

I mean reinserting it. If reinserting it doesn't work, try what Kat said, reinstalling the drivers and rebooting.

Is your mic a USB mic or a regular audio jack mic?

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ive listened to both of your advices btu unfortunately no luck. if anything it made it worse because now whenever I start up by pc it says unable to load interface for volume control. please reinstall the application. But whenevr I try to uninstall SB Audigy it says Setup.exe has encountered an error and need to close. Not only does my mic not work, I dont even know if my sound drivers are correct anymore. I find this problem very frustrating and I am getting fed up. And as a response to commies question, my mics are both regular audio jack mics although I am considering getting a USB one as it seems to be more stable and less troublesome...

commie

commie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

ive listened to both of your advices btu unfortunately no luck. if anything it made it worse because now whenever I start up by pc it says unable to load interface for volume control. please reinstall the application. But whenevr I try to uninstall SB Audigy it says Setup.exe has encountered an error and need to close. Not only does my mic not work, I dont even know if my sound drivers are correct anymore. I find this problem very frustrating and I am getting fed up. And as a response to commies question, my mics are both regular audio jack mics although I am considering getting a USB one as it seems to be more stable and less troublesome...

My point in asking Angus is that audio jack interfaces are in my experience much more stable than USB mics. In all probability your problem is not the mic at all.

It's probably:

1) Your audio drivers, which you could always reinstall.

or

2) Your actual microphone jack. Did you say that you tried another microphone in your card and it didn't work as well? To me that sounds like a card problem.

I suggest redownloading the software, uninstalling the card via your Windows device manager and reinstalling the card using the updated installation files. If it still doesn't work after this, and you've definitely tried to test it in various programs, then it's most likely a physical defect in the card.

Redownload the installation files from here.

http://support.creat...e=Sound Blaster

By the way, how have you been testing the microphone to see if it works?

Edited by commie, 08 June 2008 - 10:33 PM.