Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck on "Aquiring Network Address"

• Please log in to reply

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I tried setting up a home network about 8 months ago and finally gave up. Now I have a new Router and Wireless adaptor and STILL cannot get a Network set up. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated and perhaps prevent me from losing my sanity.
Router is a D-Link DIR-625
Adaptor is a D-Link DWA-652
Main PC and Laptop both running WindowsXP - SP3
I think it is entierly possible that some setting I may have changed somewhere along the way in my original attempts to set up the Network may be preventing me from being able to set it up this time also. I have tried running the Network Setup Wizards. Also tried a lengthy manual set-up proceedure that I got on geekstogo 8 months ago. I feel now like the more things that I try without really knowing what I'm doing are only going to make matters worse. So here I am, hoping someone can start me in the right direction. Really, Really, REALLY dont think that this is a Malware issues as I have followed geekstogo advice for cleaning up and preventing malware for years now. My last attempts to connect to the network wirelessly from my laptop seem to get stuck in "Aquiring Network Address" stage. Prevous attempt said that I was getting an excellent signal but "little or no connectivity" Thank you for your help!

ipconfig/all on Main PC

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MAINPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : sssnet.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sssnet.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-2B-40-EE-4F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.198
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:55:04 P
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 23, 2008 7:55:04 PM

ipconfig/all on laptop:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DF8K9041
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link DWA-652 XtremeN Notebook Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-F0_6E-5D-6B
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Edited by sportspeddler1, 22 May 2008 - 06:51 PM.

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Just quickly the first thing I noticed was no dns setting on the notebook. Also, have you tried manually setting up the IP info on the laptop and then seeing if you can ping router? Or does the laptop have a wired ethernet connection you could trying connecting to the router to get it set up initially?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Lets renew your connection to the gateway on your laptop.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /release".
  • After it is done releasing. Type in: "ipconfig /renew".
  • This should renew your connection with your gateway.

Regards,
Olrik

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
1: I have not tried manually setting up the IP info on the Laptop becuase I'm not sure how to do that or where to find the IP info to manually enter in if I did know how to do that.

2: There is a wired ethernet connection available to the Laptop but again, need some guidance on how to set it up initially if I connect with the wired connection.

3: I tried the ipconfig /release then the ipconfig /renew commands. After entering the renew command I got the response: "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 5 : The system cannot find the file specified."

Still hanging up on Aquiring Network address.
Still getting all 0's for IP Addy, Subnet Mask, etc.

VERY MUCH appreciate the responses. Feeling a little more hope that I may somehow get to the bottom of this.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
What is the setup of the network like?
Do you have other PC's on the network (wired) that do work?

3: I tried the ipconfig /release then the ipconfig /renew commands. After entering the renew command I got the response: "An error occured while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 5 : The system cannot find the file specified."

This is because your not connecting to a wireless network but a wired network.

Regards,
Olrik

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
First, on your laptop, go to Start, then Run... then type: cmd and it should bring you to a DOS window. Type in: tracert 127.0.0.1 just to verify your TCP/IP is operating correctly. You should see something like this:

Tracing route to localhost [127.0.0.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms localhost [127.0.0.1]

Trace complete.

If it's correct, then let's start from the very beginning and go to control panel | Network Connections and delete all connections listed under LAN or High-Speed Internet. Then go to device manager and find "Network adapters" and uninstall anything listed under that. Then go to control panel | Add/Remove programs and uninstall any network drivers and any network-related software you may have installed. Then turn off your laptop (if you have a network cable, plug your laptop ethernet port in 1 end and the other end into the router after your laptop is turned off). Then power off your router and your cable modem. Then power on your cable modem first, once all the lights are on, then power on your router, and finally power up your laptop and let windows detect your network adapter.

Post the results of your ipconfig /all. Good luck.

Edited by fawoodward, 23 May 2008 - 07:28 PM.

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Well this IS encouraging!!!!!!!!! I deleted anything and everything that I could find that had anything to do with connections, adaptors, modems, etc. then rebooted with a network cable as instructed and was able to access the internet. In fact, I am sending this post from the laptop. I also completely un-installed my firewall on both computers (a suggestion I saw on another site, but kinda made sense to me, will re-install after network is up and running). By the way, my network configuration is just one Desktop PC (MainPC) one wireless router and one (hopefully) wireless but currently wired laptop.

Here are the results of ipconfig /all after reboot.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DF8K9041
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : sssnet.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sssnet.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated C
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-B0-1B-2A
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:29:51 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:29:51 AM

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
So what should be my next step to get the laptop connected with the wireless adaptor?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Your next step would be to make sure that your router supports wireless.
Activate the wireless.
Set a SSID.
Broadcast the SSID.
Secure the Wireless network.
Check on your laptop if you can find the network.

Regards,
Olrik

wytboy55

wytboy55

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
may i ask what brand of laptop you are using? and do you also know what is the brand of your WLAN CARD? it could be INTEL pro wlan card. If you are unsure, check device manager. RIGHT CLICK MY COMPUTER > PROPERTIES > HARDWARE TAB > DEVICE MANAGER, click on the plus sign next to network adapters. and you will see there the brand of your wlan card. The reason for this is for you to know what kind of wireless utility you are using. Because the utility depends on the brand of the wlan card. We can disable that utility and use the windows utility instead. Because by default it is the utility of the brand of the wlan card is running. Sometimes it creates conflict to the windows utility and sometimes it will not able to connect to wireless. It better to disable this. An example of utility is INTEL PRO WIRELESS utility. This utility is activated if you are using one of intel's wireless lan card.

http://downloadcente...s...61&lang=eng

Advertisements

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thank you all very much for all your suggestions!!!! Under the heading of "Good News / Bad News" I was able to get the laptop connected wirelessly to the internet.... However, I ran into a snag when I tried to set up file and printer sharing. Maybe someone will have a suggestion on this. I am able to see shared files on the laptop from my desktop PC, however, I cannot access shared files or printers on my Desktom from my Laptop. (i.e. Desktop sees Laptop but Laptop does NOT see Desktop) Access Denied. I have tried everything I can think of. stopping windows firewall, re-installing file and printer sharing in network services, re-setting up the network. Im kinda out of ideas so would appreciate anyones suggestions.
Thank you again!!!
By the way, Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1100 and LAN adaptor is Broadcom

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I think you don't have apropriate rights to open the files on your desktop from your laptop.
When on your desktop browse to the shared folder and follow the steps below.
In the top bar, select "tools" then go to "folder options".
Select the second tab and scroll down until you find a tickbox with "Enable Simple File Sharing. (recommended)"
Turn this box off.
Then go to the properties of the shared folder.
On the sharing tab select "Permissions" and set the apropriate permissions.

Goodluck! :)
Regards,
Olrik

sportspeddler1

sportspeddler1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I remember reading on someone elses post 8 months ago when I first tried to set up this network that they didnt understand why setting up a network had to be so hard!!! I gotta say that I still remember that comment and could not agree more. Microsoft must spend 0 dollars and 0 time and 0 resources trying to improve their networking applications. With everything in windows being so "point and click" and "plug and play"... why is it that it STILL seems like you have to have a masters degree in computer science to set up a simple, 2 computer, home network? GEESSHHHHH!!!!!
Anyhow. I have read on other sites about turning on and off "enable simple file sharing (recommended)" under my computer, tools, folder options, view. That option does not even exist on my version of xp. Tried setting up permissions in the shared folders, but still not seeing the desktop PC from the laptop. I am able to ping the desktop from the laptop if that means anything.
Sorry about the rant. Any other suggestions?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Which OS version do you have? Pro or Home?
Home doesn't support the simple file sharing.

If you -are- able to ping the machine but -not- able to access it I am pretty sure this is a permissions problem.
Try removing all current shares on your desktop
Then make a folder on C: called "test" (C:\test)
Then share that folder under the name "test"
Then on your laptop, go to start and hit "run"
In the runbox, type: (without quotation): "\\192.168.0.198\test"

Any result?

Regards,
Olrik

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Be sure you have something shared on both computers otherwise you won't see anything (hehe makes sense). Then from the laptop go to start menu | run | and type this in the box: \\<desktop name>\<shared folder name> and see if it connects. If you still get access denied, go to the control panel | user accounts | and add a new user with the logon name and password of the user logged on to the laptop. Good luck.