Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new computer wattage

• Please log in to reply

ryang96

ryang96

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok heres a list i need to to know wattage so i can get a psu..

thermaltake thunderblade 120mm red led fans X7
MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 in crossfireX 4 cards that is..
AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 800
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
vista-64 bit home premium
thermaltake v1
lite on dvd rom drive with lightscribe
zalman mcf1 plus-b fan controller

i also want some overhead for some stuff. cold cathodes, watercooling, tv tuner and other assorted stuff, maby another hdd or 2

EDIT: tell me if there is a better solution t any part, thanks.

thanks,

ryang96

Edited by ryang96, 22 May 2008 - 10:07 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might try these.

http://extreme.outer...m/powercalc.jsp

http://web.aanet.com...ooP/psucalc.php

http://www.silentmod...Calculator.html

SRX660

ryang96

ryang96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
the outervision one says 747 watts..sound right?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your build is impossible unless you plan on getting many single slot cooler GPU waterblocks, which will cost about $130 each.
The dual slot cooler is going to cover all other PCI slots so you will not be able to install a sound card or TV tuner.
What resolution are you even running? You'd be much better to get two HD3870X2's. Have you even considered purchasing an Intel CPU?

Get a Pioneer or Samsung drive.

To take the stress off your north bridge (assuming you are overclocking), get a 2x2GB kit of RAM. This will also allow future expansion to 8GB.

X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

I highly advice you do not purchase this card, there is much better on the market for similar price ranges. Do you even need the audio features offered on this card?
James

ryang96

ryang96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
thanks james but the 3870's i want (sapphire ones) have a single slot cooler on them: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102719
as for the sound card, if there is better for a similar price what would you recommend?
2 3870x2's have dual slot cooling, even if i did watercool, they would still use 2 slots because of the front grill thing..
i am pulling the ram from my old cpu so i can save some money. sorry dude :)

i have condidered getting an intel cpu, but couldn't find a good board with 790Fx chipset and 4 pci 16x slots

running 1920X1200 resolution

thanks for advice

Edited by ryang96, 24 May 2008 - 08:24 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

2 3870x2's have dual slot cooling, even if i did watercool, they would still use 2 slots because of the front grill thing..

Nothing a dremel couldn't fix, though I know people don't like voiding their warranty. I didn't realize that these were single slot coolers, my bad. Either way, I need to know what resolution you are gaming at.

I'm going to be quite honest with you, just get crossfire or SLI, there is no real advantages with crossfireX and tri-SLI as it's still in early devellopement. Buying into this technology is just making you a beta tester and you'd likely see minimal gains over the standard to card SLI. Lastly, I'd be really afraid of putting 4 single card GPUs into a single computer case. You need to remember that these cards do not exhaust the heat out the back, instead it just circulates the heat within the case. This isn't much of a problem if you have one card, but if you have many card, it's very likely that you will experience overheating related problems.

If I were you, I'd likely be buying into SLI and a Intel CPU on the 750i FTW Evga board.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 May 2008 - 08:23 AM.

ryang96

ryang96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
i game at many diffrent resolutions...usually 1440x1900 currently because my computer can't handle higher resolutions..
but i picked a new vid card and mobo+cpu..

EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i-t1 SLI ATX Intel Motherboard =)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor or a q6600 quad core

vid card: still wondering..thinking if gts (g92) sli or 2 evga 9800 gtx or 8800gt xxx...

Edited by ryang96, 24 May 2008 - 11:02 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't even get SLI if you game at that resolution, never mind tri SLI or crossfirex.
That motherboard is not compatible with the E8400, I suggest getting the 750i FTW EVGA if you still want to get SLI or get the P35-DS3L. If you intend on overclocking this CPU really hard, you may want to look into a slightly different motherboard if your budget will allow.
James

ryang96

ryang96

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
don't mean to offend but i said currently..i have a 26" widescreen but my computer is a piece of junk..radeon x1300 pci, intel celeron 2.5ghz and a stock compaq mobo..LOL
i got the monitor for free so.. that's y i have it.

the 680i will support a q6600 though so im going to get that instead of my e8400 because it is near the same price..

SYSTEM AS OF THIS SECOND..
thermaltake thunderblade 120mm red led fans X7
evga 680i-t1 lga 775
don't know vid cards...
intel Quad-Core q6600 Processor
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series or something else
vista-64 bit home premium
thermaltake v1
zalman mcf1 plus-b fan controller

lol what i really wanted to know was what power supply to use..

but im still open to any help

Edited by ryang96, 26 May 2008 - 06:16 PM.