Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wish you still had that old car?

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I just read on Yahoo about the 2010 Camaro and it left me feeling nostalgic about my old Camaro that I wish I still had.
1992 25 Anniversary Edition RS Convertible
I had to let her go after I found out I was going to be a dad.
Now that my little guy is older I might consider trading in my Jeep for the SS.

The SS will be powered by a 6.2-liter LS3 V-8 (similar to that found in the Corvette) tuned to produce around 400–405 bhp.

Here's a picture of a picture of my lost love. :)
Posted Image
If you've got a picture of your old car post it here and tell us a bit about it.

Edited by keithr128, 22 May 2008 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
:)

She's beautiful. BUT, look at the bright side. If you owned this... Posted Image
You'd be CRYING now :)

The new Camaro is an outstanding car. I had seen it in a local car show, just about a month ago. I also had the luck of hearing it roar. The sound was... Dumbfounding. Here are a few shots I took of it. One of them is in my profile.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As for that old car - Well, we still have it. My parents bought it when I was 2 years old, and it will be my very first car when I get my driving license. We wanted to sell it and buy something new, but we just can't. It's a great car, really. I don't assume Americans know it, but it was one of the best selling cars of the 90s.

Posted Image

Edited by Tal, 23 May 2008 - 02:50 PM.

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My first set of wheels was a well-used '64 Pontiac LeMans. 2 door automatic 326 V8. Not as muscle as the upgrade GTO but a step up from the basic Tempest. Nowadays guys are happy to find an old American 8 cylinder 4 door or a station wagon in decent shape to throw some old Cragars on. My old Pontiac would probably sell for more than it's lot sticker price these days.

Break my heart: a few years ago paid $1200 for a solid VW Karmann Ghia to restore. Put work and parts/money in it and had $2,000 of new in-the-box parts for it. NJ comes out with a law that you can't have a uninsured unregistered vehicle on your own property - and they wanted a valid inspection sticker along with those license plates. Local PD gets right on it, slaps a huge orange decal on the windshield, I've got 2 weeks to perform a miracle. Not in good health at the time, I had to put my little German baby on eBay for a quick sale. $400 was all I got. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear get you.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well I don't have a photo of it (that I can find at the moment, anyway), but I sure wish I had my old beast.

It was a 1979 Datsun Sunny station wagon, a most lovely poo brown colour. I picked it up from a caryard for $850 (with a month's registration, too!) and spent about $100 on motor parts to get it running real sweet. I put a JVC CD player in, some Blaupunkt 6.5" splits, and found a genuine Datsun rally sports leather steering wheel at the motor wreckers for $20.

It was gutless, uncomfortable, no air-conditioning (and the heater leaked, so I disconnected it), but it was mine. The little beast easily clocked up 20,000km in its short life with me - including quite a few long road trips!

Unfortunately, it got hit in a hail storm. The whole rear window smashed in, and the front windscreen was cracked and split real bad. I was able to replace the glass fairly cheap, but I never bothered with getting the panels straightened again. I sold the beast for $950 - more than I bought it for!

I could do with it right now, because it was really cheap on fuel - I swear it ran on fumes.

And it didn't look anywhere near as nice as the model below, but that's the same shape.

Posted Image

Cheers

Troy

K Galli

K Galli

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just 3 weeks ago I lost my 94 Dodge Caravan, Drove it from 0 to 212,000 Miles (341,200 km) and the repair bill for a broken AC pump made buying a "new" car more affordable. I got really cheap for the last 5 years or so though so things like the slider door didn't work and it whistled when you stepped on the gas. I loved taking friends to the movies because everyone had to pile out of the front passenger door, very "clown car" esk.

The used Corolla I picked up is definitly a better car but that van was stylish in its own way.

Posted Image
Not my car but same look

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I don't have any pics of it. My first car was a 1982 yellow Ford Mustang, bought for me when I turned 16 in 1987. It had a thick black stripe down the sides, and it was just gorgeous. I was the envy of many of my friends. It had a blown engine, which was replaced for me, of course. So... they got the car for a song. I sold it when I had Ashley a couple of years later, and bought a nice "safe" Ford Tempo.

and no, I've never had a speeding ticket... or any kind of ticket. I knew when not to speed, I spose. :)

The name of my car? The Mustard Jar.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

The name of my car? The Mustard Jar.

:)

Nice one, Kat! :)

Troy

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I had a 1968 Chevelle once that I bought from and old lady in 93 for $500 US dollars, it was her husband’s car and since he had past away she just wanted to get rid of it. It was a dream come true… it was garage kept and only had 42,000 miles on it. The only problem was at the time I didn’t know much about cars… I had no idea that I had just bought one of the most popular classic muscle cars of that time. All I knew was it would go 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds and there is nothing like the sound of a holley four-barrel carburetor opening up :) .

To make a long story short, when I got back from overseas I traded it in on a Jeep wrangler for $1000 dollars…. I could so kick myself for that, you can’t buy one now for under $30,000 :)

ford123

ford123

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
looks great...

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
My first car when I was still studying was a Fiat 127

Color and type shown here:

medium_5.jpg

I bought it for fl. 1250 ( that would be around US$ 950 ) and drove it for 4 years.
Untill someone with a giant Volvo couldn't stop in time and made it even shorter. :)

Something that makes you wonder about progress:
It used almost as little gas as my current car (Toyota Prius Hybrid)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this ISN'T my first car...but it's exactly the same as the first one i had.....big pimpin in a 91 ford tempo GL yeahy yeahy!!

Posted Image

it had like 4,000 miles on it when my parents bought it because some old lady (actually a distant cousin of mine) had it before me and she drove it one block from her house to the store once a month for like 6 years....she sold it when she backed into her own mailbox on the way to the store one day.....

it was a great car...very economical....quite functional...i could fit about 16 kids in the car (i used to have photographic proof) for cross country practice...used to do donuts in the cane fields back home...all kinds of fun stuff

on the way from LA to TN the heating core exploded in fort payne alabama (about 2.5 to 3 hrs outside of knoxville TN) shooting coolant everywhere....we had to stop every 15 minutes and pour water into the radiator then drive like H-E-Double Hockey sticks until my 15 minutes were up and i had to put more water in....that 2.5 hour drive took about 8 to complete...

anyone else notice how this thread was about classic cars but all we're posting is junkers? does the type of car you drive when you're a teenager shape your "geekness" when you get older? who knows

anyone seen the new challenger yet?
Posted Image

they're supposed to start showing up in showrooms this week......i'm gonna test drive one for a few hours and make the dealer sweat

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

they're supposed to start showing up in showrooms this week......i'm gonna test drive one for a few hours and make the dealer sweat

I would sweat before the test drive if I saw a pack of monkeys following you in :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

big pimpin in a 91 ford tempo GL yeahy yeahy!!

I sold it when I had Ashley a couple of years later, and bought a nice "safe" Ford Tempo.

Mine was a '90, and was "baby blue" colored. :) I drove the heck out of that thing for eight years, though. Never had a problem with it. I bought mine brand new, so that's why I had it so long. :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
It's fugly! :)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
At todays fuel price and hardly no parking available,i do wish to have my first car back! :)