Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc Video Card To Tv

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
From what I understand when you want to hookup a pc video card to a tv you just have to:

1. Shutdown your pc

2. Unplug your computer monitor from the pc video card

3. Attach a vga cable from your pc video card to your tv

4. Turn on your pc and than your tv

5. Your video card should automatically show your desktop on your pc

Is this correct? I have a vga video card and also a lcd tv with pc vga input...

If there is anything I'm mentioning that is wrong please tell me or any precautions I should take.

Thank You

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What you stated is correct, but what I would do before Step #1 is to set the resolution of your PC to 800x600, that way you know for certain that the screen will be able to be displayed on your TV when you power up. After you are at your desktop, then you can change the resolution to the Native resolution of your LCD TV.

I myself have my computer hooked up to my 37" LCD HDTV and absolutely love it! :)

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you very much for your reply I'll let you know how it goes. I read my 37" LG hdtvs manual and it lists specific resolutions that it supports. What happens if fool around with the res settings to see what it different ones look like and I set my pc res to the wrong setting? Will my tv/pc ruin or does it just not display?

Thank You

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you change the resolution to something your TV doesn't support, you will just get a 'No Signal' type message up on your monitor, and as long as you don't click or touch your keyboard, it should revert back to the previous resolution after about 15-30 seconds.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thanks for the help! I'm on the tv using my pc right now and it works fine. & hey if anyone ever tries to google the tv I have it would be good to note the following. The best res setting on my 37LG30 Model HDTV is 1280 x 768.

Thanks

P.s.
Now to get a wireless mouse and keyboard...

:)

Edited by superstar, 24 May 2008 - 01:01 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad you got it working! :)

I have the exact same TV, and the resolution I am using for it is 1360x768 and that works the best for me. Make sure you go into the MENU options and then PICTURE and then go down until you get to SCREEN(RGB-PC) and use the Auto setup feature it has. It makes the picture go to the entire length of the screen without cutting off any part of the picture.

*EDIT* -- Also make sure you set the resolution in the above SCREEN{RGB-PC) to the resolution that you have set in your computer.

Edited by Fenor, 24 May 2008 - 07:30 AM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Your right I noticed that too Fenor you have to go into the RGB settings in the tv to set the right res to match with your video card pc set res. I'm glad we are both enjoying the same quality. The 37LG30 HDTV is amazing when hooked up to a pc. It's breath taking and I'm sure many people will stumble upon this thread through google and use the information we wrote. By the way which color setting are you using more on the tv with your pc? I use "VIVID" color when I want crisp bright images for net browsing and "Standard" when I'm watching movies I bought played through my pc dvd drives for that nice black dark picture.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I have it set to Vivid all the time. I mainly use it for watching TV Shows/Movies and playing games. I have a secondary 19" WS Monitor that I use for surfing and the like.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
That begs some interesting questions...

1. Is your tv and pc monitor hooked up to your video card at the same time?

2. If your answer to my first question was yes than which one is primary and which one is secondary?

3. Do you just turn on the monitor you want to use before you turn on your pc, or have both on whenever you start your pc?

4. Or are you using a vga splitter like this:

Posted Image

Edited by superstar, 25 May 2008 - 03:50 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
My video card has both DVI and VGA ports, so both are plugged in. My TV is the 2ndary and my 19" is the primary.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I have a Radeon 9550 video card that also has a vga and dvi output just like yours! I have been manually disconnecting my 17" crt vga monitor, and than connecting a 6 foot long male to male vga extension cable that goes to my tv. It's been really frustrating having to disconnect my monitor and and than reconnect it after every tv use. How do I connect both? By the way what kind of cable are you using to connect your tv to your video card?

Edited by superstar, 25 May 2008 - 04:11 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Power off your computer and then attach the cables how you want them. Then turn on the computer. The POST screen (aka the stuff that shows before the Windows Loading Screen) will appear cloned on both screens. Once windows loads, only the primary monitor will have any picture on it. Then just go into the Catalyst Control Center and there is a nice easy wizard that you can go through to set up your monitors however you like it. Be it cloned desktops, extended, etc... and you also can set up which one is the Primary and which one is the secondary along with the resolutions for each.

I have a VGA cable (with VGA to DVI convertor plugged into one of the DVI ports connecting my 19" LCD, and then I have a DVI to HDMI cable going from the second DVI port on my video card to the HDMI port on the TV. HDMI has superb picture quality over that of VGA, so that is why I got one from TigerDirect for about $35 for a 16 foot DVI to HDMI cable.

Edited by Fenor, 25 May 2008 - 04:27 PM.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I was told by LG technical reps at the actual company that you should only use the VGA pc input on their tvs because it's a protected input. Not only that but that you have to use a vga cord with ferrites to ensure that the tv and pc don't get damaged. The vga extension cable I'm using shows a clean crisp image. It looks better than my crt monitor. What kind of video card do you have?

Edited by superstar, 25 May 2008 - 04:37 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Never heard of anything like that happening. My bro has a 50" Plasma and he's had it attached to his computer the same way as mine for over a year with no ill-effects.

I have an XFX 8600 GTS XXX video card.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I guess it's one of those things manufacturers say without really "knowing". How do you cope with burn in issues on your LG tv screen while using it with your pc? What I mean is basically I'd like to use my LG tv as a permanent or semi-permanent pc monitor. But I'm scared to get some sort of burn in problem on the screen when I leave the desktop still and go get a snack or something. The tv manual talks about being careful with burn in problems on still images. But what I can't understand is if burn in is a problem with our lcd LG tvs why isn't it a problem with a normal LG lcd pc monitor? [ie: the smaller lcd monitors sold "as" pc monitors]

I don't get what the difference would be between both types of monitors if they're made with the same parts. & why we have to be careful with this problem happening on our tvs and not happening at all on the lcd monitors sold as pc monitors.

Edited by superstar, 25 May 2008 - 10:11 PM.