Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TECH WRECK

• Please log in to reply

susan spencer

susan spencer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite M55 notebook about 2 years old that recently started having problems. The fan turns on and off intermittantly, makes loud noises and sometimes will not shut off. The system runs hard and struggles. The monitor has a wavy circuit line showing through the center of the screen. I called Toshiba as I have a 3 year extended at home warranty and they sent out a tech.

The tech brought numerous parts relating to the fan and planned to replace all of them without any regard for system diagnostics. He did not check the system at all- only the repair order. No error reports-nothing. He proceeded to replace the fan however forgot to bring it with him. He also did not have the tools he needed and tried to remove the monitor improperly. He asked to take the notebook with him to their repair shop to make the repairs. I agreed reluctantly seeing that I paid for next day home repair and had security concerns. I was afraid however not to have repair done and be at a loss of entire system due to crash.

The notebook was returned the next day. THE PROBLEMS ARE NOW TEN-FOLD.

The system is running so hot that it is hard to type this email. The FRONT of the keyboard is very overheated. The underneath I would consider a safety issue or fire danger.The fan that was starting and catching has stopped. When you lift or tilt the notebook you can hear a peculiar sound. The monitor supposedly was replaced however you can still see the circuit showing through. There is a crack on the rear of the keyboard cover and plastic casing is scratched on top of case. The screws that were removed on the bottom of the notebook were not replaced at all. A few are there, the others missing. When I pick up the notebook, parts fall off. The case was replaced incorrectly so the main electrical cord does not easily fit or remove with ease. The notebook does not close correctly.

At this point, I do not trust anyone to touch the system. I also don't agree with the shotgun method of repair-replacing anything related to a specific report without any testing. This is my primary system for home and I use it for my work. It is loaded with my day to day desktop-work and personal.

When you phone Toshiba, you get a tech that takes notes and transfers you to a second person. I do not trust them at this point and don't want another service tech out. Also, I have no idea what was done to notebook. I think the notebook should be replaced. I don't know what the protocol is on resolving this and how to escalate beyond service. I have a work program loaded on the notebook that I cannot afford to lose as well as many files that will need to be backed up. I will need some assistance with this as result of their incompetance.

Appreciate feedback from those that have expertise in this situation as it needs to be resolved ASAP! Thank you!

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I'm sure you're really disappointed about that. I don't think I'll be sane if that happened to me.
I suggest you get a HDD enclosure for your laptop's HD. It should secure your HD at least and allow you to work on another machine with your original data.
As for the fan, I'm quite sure all it needed was cleaning. If you really need the laptop itself, you can get a laptop cooling pad to replace the fan. All it needs is additional desk space and a USB port.

Wish I could be of more help but I'm sure the others here will be. :)

Welcome to the site!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I'd call toshiba and complain... Also I do work for toshiba.... unless the tech had you sign a waver he should not have removed the computer from your location.... Also toshiba usually sends the parts to you and then the tech when the parts arrive... that is the way they have done it for EVERY call I've done for them...