Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hard drive failures, clacking noises, XP buggered.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey guys, and thanks very much for taking the time to read my post! Let me just say that I really appreciate all you do; it's nice to know when I screw something up I have somewhere to turn!

My most recent problem started when I installed a new USB 2.0 card. Product is from iogear.

I installed the card, booted up the computer and ran the install CD that came with it. It prompted me to reboot, so I did. That's when all [bleep] broke loose. Now I've had this issue before, but I was able to deal with it. It was a while ago, though, and I don't remember what I did. My problem then wasn't nearly as bad as it is now, however.

At first, my computer loaded up fine. Until I noticed I couldn't use either mouse or keyboard. No response from either. I shut down and adjusted wires in the back, thinking perhaps I knocked them loose in the process of installing the new card. I turned the computer back on, and thats when I got that god-awful clacking noise. I recognized that and cringed. It's an incessant, single "clunk" or "clack" coming from the hard drives. A few seconds between each at it's quickest, to a minute or two between at it's slowest. The computer would not boot up. Right away I got a "primary slave failure" if I remember correctly. So great, my drives are panicking. The closest I could get to windows was as soon as the start bar and background begin to load, then it froze.

I rebooted again, this time with my Windows XP CD in the drive. I hit R to Repair, and it looked like it was going well at first. Then it froze up there to.

I reboot it again, and let it run it's course again. I made it in! I'm in windows! Ok great.... except I don't know how to uninstall the drivers I had installed for the USB card, I don't dare touch the DVD drive or anything else, as random actions now cause crashes (for example trying to copy text), and a new problem was thrown in the mix as well.

I can't access either my D:\ or H:\ partitions. They are simply not there. Thankfully those are the only 2 partitions I can do without!

Also, I should mention.... I have a botched installation of Windows XP on drive C:\, which I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of without reformatting. I have to choose which OS to load each time I boot up.

I'm in the middle of immigrating to Canada, and am not yet allowed to work or attend school here. My computer is my only source of entertainment, and the only way I have to kill time while I wait. I need this or I'd go nuts. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you very, very much for your time!

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows XP (if updated to at least SP1) shouldn't need any third party drivers installing for a USB 2.0 add-on card. Most likely the drivers supplied with the card screwed up your XP. Golden rule - never install a third-party driver for a simple upgrade card until you've established that the card won't work without it!
Keeping drivers to a minimum is one of the essentials for maintaining Windows stability.

If you are now able to get into Windows, go to 'Device Manager', expand the entry at the bottom named "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", find the sub-entry for the add-on card which will either say "USB 2.0 Controller" or "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller". Right-click this entry and choose "Uninstall". Now reboot and XP will re-detect the card and (should) install the built-in driver files instead of the ones that came with the card.

Edited by pip22, 23 May 2008 - 04:12 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks so much for the fast response!! I really do appreciate it.

Alright, I'm in the device manager window, however the sub-entry is worded a bit differently. I dislike assuming, so forgive me if I sound nit-pickish; I just like to know for certain.

There are several listed, but the ones that sound like they're the ones you mention are:

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

There are two of these, as well. Should I uninstall them both?