Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Has NO SOUND

• Please log in to reply

kathyg1.1

kathyg1.1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I will appreciate any help you give me! I am very computer illiterate and cannot follow many of the other posts. I don't know what a sound card or a driver or a device manager is.

About a month ago I was attacked by a Malware Bell. I went to Geeks to Go and followed as much of the removal information that I could understand. I believe the removal was successful as I have run many scans since and I have not seen any evidence of this virus.

Last week my 7 year old was downloading some site where you could dress dolls ( she has been told no more downloading w/o permission). In the middle of the download the computer shut down completely. I called a repairperson whom I have used before. He said the fan burned out, and since he does not believe in coincidences, it was probably caused by the download. He repaired the computer, ran some scans, added/enabled my Panda virus program, and returned the computer. However, the sound does not work and I cannot afford another repair charge ($240).

I clicked on start, control panel, sound speech and audio devices, adjust the system volume, and the window states no audio device, and the box to adjust the volume is not highlighted. We did check to be sure that the speakers were properly connected.

I have a Dell desktop computer which is about 4 years old. It was updated several months ago by the same repairperson. He added more rams or memory (???) and installed the Panda. The computer runs much better and faster. I pretty much only use the computer for shopping (I am disabled and it is hard for me to walk around stores or malls), emailing family/friends, surfing the net, and for my daughter who attends an online school.

I thank you for taking the time to read this. Please help if you can. THANKS!!

Advertisements

krs1

krs1

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
Hi kathyg1.1,

please let me try to help you,but first i need to know your system specs.like if you're using
the on-board souund or an add-on PCI sound card.

if you're using the on-baord sound,i need to know your motherboard model.
if you're using a PCI sound card then i need to know the model number as well.

for us to get these much more easier,you ca run a dxdiag report & attach the file
to your next post.

Dxdiag is the diagnostic tool for DirectX. It can be used to produce a text file giving a lot of
detail about a PC, installed hardware and drivers.

To produce a dxdiag report:

1) Click START and then RUN.

2) Type 'dxdiag' and click OK. This will open the diagnostic tool.

3) When dxdiag has finished examining your system (there is a progress bar at the bottom
of the window), click 'Save All Information'. This will create a text file 'dxdiag.txt', by default
it is saved to the desktop.

if you can provide what is requested above,it would be a great help for me to help you if you need a
driver/software for your sound.as well as direct you to the hardware manufacturer's website where
you can download the latest driver needed for your hardware.

krs1 :)