Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Log On loops After Program Removed- Possible Registry Changes

• Please log in to reply

mythyme

mythyme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
PLEASE HELP! - with specific steps I'm a novice here.
Running XP SP2 on my HP Pavillion dv5220. Have security program provided by ISP and Spybot S&D. Attempted to remove ISPs security program in order to load a new security program. During "remove", SpybotS&D prompted messages appear: asking Allow or Deny regarding several "System Startup" registry changes. I've apparently allowed or denied in error with my responses. Cannot log on normally nor Safe Mode in either User or Admin account. Keeps Looping.

Have "Recovery disk set" made at initial purchase. Without losing programs and data: 1)Can I Repair XP/registry from Recovery disks? HOW, specifically? 2)If not, is it possible to do a manual restore (prior to program removal)? Again, specifics - can't seem to get to command prompt.

No success with "last known good config" etc. I put Recov disk 1 in & F11'd. Choices were R- repair, F-format, Q-quit. HP site makes it sound as though I'll lose all programs & data if I chose either R or F!! Please help.

Advertisements