Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with browsing in IE explorer

• Please log in to reply

Kristina

Kristina

• PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I am starting to have a problem with browsing Internet pages. I have had a topic in the malware section and apparently malware was removed and this isn't connected to that.

The problem in short is: I can only access links from my favourites or from google. If I try to access a link on a page, the new window opens and then loads forever. I noticed if I do save target as and save it on my desktop, then by clicking the desktop icon some links might work. Others might not, or the page will load partially.

What I noticed now is that it only happens in IE. I downloaded Firefox and I don't have that problem there. (but there are still a few links which don't work even here) However, I've tried several times to adapt to Firefox, but I can't make the style of the page look comfortable for the eyes (as I don't have LCD screen the browser and the desktop can't both look good with the same settings).

Also IE started working very slow when browsing. I tried cleaning the temporary files but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

So I wonder what could be the sudden problem with IE. What could be the reason for this? Please help.

Edited by Kristina, 26 May 2008 - 10:03 AM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Kristina,

Are we working with IE6 or IE7.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hi! Thank you for the reply!

I have IE7. I used to have IE6, but it started working slow and I was recommended here to change it to IE7. That speeded things up, since I understood that it uses less memory and I was having some space problems then. However, now I'm having problems with this version as well. Firefox seems to be working quite normaly though.

Weird enough is everything worked just fine until May 14th-15th, when I was getting help in the malware section because of comp running slow. At that time I could load any windows in IE. That's why I thought all the time my problems were malware related, but now all malware seems to be gone and this new problem suddenly appeared.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What we want to do is reset IE 7 to defaults. To do so press the ALT Key. Then click on tools then Internet options. You should have a new window come up. In that new window click on advanced. Now click on reset. It will go though the process of resetting IE7 to defaults. You will loose all save passwords but it is generally more secure not to save them anyways.

Kristina

Kristina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
In the meantime I was recommended to reinstall IE7 and after doing so, the problem with accessing pages seems to be gone, but the internet was still very slow.

I have also reset now IE to defaults and it seems to work a little faster than before. However, now the toolbar with file, edit, tools is gone.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
That can be accessed by pressing the ALT key when you want them.