Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Xbox 360 Media Sharing

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi, I'm having trouble setting up my Xbox on a network and this seemed like the place to post.

What I'm stuck with is setting up my Xbox 360 to use Xbox Live and Media Sharing at the same time. Like, my Xbox can connect to Xbox Live, but not share media with my Windows Media Centre laptop or a Windows PC with media sharing enabled.

I think this is because of my setup. Here's how it looks:

Xbox 360 is connected (via a wire) to a Belkin Wireless Range Extender [which also works as a bridge] which then connects (wirelessly) to a Belkin Wireless G HSM router.

The range extender has a static IP address which the router is set to put in the "DMZ" so we can have an open NAT in our games.

But, now the Xbox and my computer[s] can't find each other. I think it's because the Xbox is in the DMZ for the open NAT, but I'm not sure what NAT actually is... I just know it's good to have an open NAT in games.

Normally ,I'd just go ahead and start messing with settings and stuff until it worked, but in this case I'm of the opinion that "if something ain't broke, don't fix it" so I don't want to do anything that would mess up what I've already got - a connection to Xbox Live.

How can I get it to find my computers, but at the same time have an open NAT? Or is that even possible? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

P.S. I have scoured the forums for this topic, but not found one that looked like it would work (or that I fully understood).

Edited by o2mcgovem, 23 May 2008 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I had the same problem. In order to stream music I had to download the Zune media player. Otherwise you could use a CD and just burn the music to your CD, then copy it to your x-box hard drive.
Hopefully someone can figure out how to use Windows Media Center, it would make things much easier.