Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Finding if a Device Driver exists

• Please log in to reply

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello again my GtG friends. Stumped as usual, please help. The Desktop PC is a HP Pavilion a1130n w/ 3500+ AMD Athlon processor. 3GB pc3200 DDR SDRAM memory, 250GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive. Running OEM MS Win XP Home (Media Center Edition SP2 build 2600) OS. We keep it clean using Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 V.15.30.1132, WinPatrol, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware 2007 and ATF Cleaner.

After finding out our BestBuy Geeks UPS was non-functional: short story long - We experienced a rare power outtage and the PC & peripherals went out like a candle in the wind. Not good. A week later my better half reminds me. I check the UPS and found out she had it plugged in to a high quality power-strip. She didn't have one darn thing plugged in to the UPS. After I set it up proper it doesn't function. Checked it on other known good power outlets. The UPS simply is not functioning. I made a mad dash to Staples and purchased a APC Battery BackUP, remove the old Geeks UPS software and install the new UPS according to instructions, all nice and neat.

Ever since installing the APC UPS I'm getting an irritating audible twinkle noise with a pop-up which reads: "Unable to communicate with APC battery backup. Please check that the USB cable between your battery backup and PC is properly connected." I have been playing email-tag with 'Lucky' at APC for a little while, doing all sorts of things (Yes, we have removed and re-installed software). This, my friends, is where I'm stumped:

Lucky wants me to check and make sure I have some drivers. I looked at the Device Manager and the Item is listed. I've looked for how to locate Drivers in the PC's Help area, searched around on GtG, even downloaded Belarc Advisor. I'm stumped.

I'm supposed to find out if Drivers hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys, hidusb.sys, hid.dll, -and- pid.dll are alive and well in the PC. Will one of you good people please explain how I do this?

I thank you all for your time and consideration, and I thank God for you good people at GtG.

Advertisements

Kazzoo

Kazzoo

Visiting Consultant

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Greetings StinkyBritches

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the computer.

The reason you cant find your files (if they are truely there) is most likey is because Xp has them hidden from view.

By default XP hides these system files so they can not be inadvertently changed or moved.

If you do wish to see them you will have to unhide them. Follow these steps:

Click Start.
1. Open My Computer.
2. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
3. Select the View Tab.
4. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.

Verify that the Hidclass.sys, Hidparse.sys, and Hidusb.sys files are in the Windows\System32\Drivers folder.
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type hidusb.sys.
3. In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Find Now.
4. In the list of found files, verify that the Hidusb.sys, file is located in the following folder:
Windows\System32\Drivers
5. Repeat these steps for the Hidparse.sys and Hidclass.sys files.

Looks like your Tech Lucky from APC is trying to determine if your USB devices and software are present.

Dont forget that you could have a bad cable or a bad usb port.
Costs nothing to try a different usb port on your computer, or try a another known good usb device in the port that you have the UPS in now.

Good luck

Kaz.

Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

Click Yes to confirm.

Click OK.

Stinky Britches

Stinky Britches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Excellent! Thanks very much Kaz. I appreciate your well-written reply :))