Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse not scrolling properly

• Please log in to reply

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
I have recently had some problems with a computer shutting down, that now seems to be fixed but as a residual the mouse is acting terrible. I've uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, updated it and added a program to smooth out the scroll feature to no avail. Is there anything I may have missed? Or is it possible the mouse itself is on it's last legs, or mouse ball as it may be.... it's a simple 2 button Microsoft Mouse with a wheel scroller, nothing fancy.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is this an optical mouse (little red light on the bottom) or a ball mouse (big round plastic ball)?

If its a ball mouse, take the ball out and clean the rollers with your fingers. These things are dust magnets because the dust is collected on the ball and as you roll it around, it gathers on the rollers. From there it builds up to a point where the ball can't move and therefore you get poor response on the screen.

If its an optical mouse, don't use it on reflective surfaces. Also blow it out with your mouth, dust particles can linger. Also try changing the surface.

ColtsFan18

ColtsFan18

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
OK, I cleaned the ball wheels out, they were nasty but it's the wheel thats giving me the problems. it's the scrolling feature :)