Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thermaltake Mini Typhoon with Core 2 Quad

• Please log in to reply

sewildman50

sewildman50

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I purchased the Thermaltake Mini Typhoon CPU cooler and placed it on my old Athlon 64 XP 3200+. Fits fine, works fine.

I now have a new rig with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700. I am wondering if I would be able to use the Mini Typhoon on the new processor.

It says it will fit with LGA775 processors but doesn't mention the Core 2 Quad, though it mentions the Pentium D, Pentium 4, and Celeron D processors.

Any thoughts? I'd rather not have to take off the cooler then replace it in my old system if it doesn't fit with the quad core.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
As a general rule, AMD heatsinks and fans are not transferable to Intel processors because of the way the mountings are. Going from Socket A to Socket 775 is a major difference. If it comes with a separate adaptor or something that you can convert it with to work, then all well and good. Otherwise you'd have to replace the cooler if the processor doesn't come with one already.

My current heatsink and fan for my Socket 775 is also not rated on the packaging for a Core 2 Duo, though it didn't stop me putting a Core 2 Duo in my computer. No problems, thought the Core 2 Duo range run cooler than the Pentium D's anyway so you should be okay if a solution can cool a Pentium D it'll cool most of the Core 2 Duo range. Keen an eye on the temperatures though, if its going to hover around 65 degrees on idle then its not effective enough.

sewildman50

sewildman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Thanks for your reply.

The Mini Typhoon comes with hardware for mounting to both AMD and Intel processors.

As a follow-up, I went ahead and switched it anyway, and it fits. I did have an unrelated problem but that has more to do with the quality of the cooler than the mobo or processor.