Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me….my hard disk is damaged!

• Please log in to reply

henry8540

henry8540

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone , I am employed as a manager in a firm. I have a problem that I had like to talk about. My system was working fine the other day, but while copying a file by nero….the system hanged and I had to restart it. But I got a disk boot failure error. Then , I tried to run a windows xp installation CD, but that is also showing some error message during installation and the installation fails.I did check the bios settings and the disk fails to show…and had it checked on another system also…but bios cannot detect the hard disk.I think the disk is damaged or something like that.The disk has important data from my company’s point of view…..that I need to recover.
Please let me know if there are any ways to get my data back from this disk!!!!

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
My advice to you is to stop messing with the drive until someone who is qualified to help can post something back to you here. Every second of the drives use is crucial if the drive is dead or dying. So don't use it until you get help! Also let us know if you hear the drive spin up. Are you hearing any clicking sounds coming from the drive?

Edited by superstar, 24 May 2008 - 01:04 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
best bet if it's not detected by the computer would be to send it to professional data recovery but that is expensive ( hundreds to thousands ). It's also possible if you are tech savy to try and replace the electronics on the bottom of the motherboard but to do that you need to find an exact duplicate of the drive and take the electronics from it.... However it could also be a mechanical failure in which case the first idea is your best bet....