Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to open TIFF faster

• Please log in to reply

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I need to open a lot of cd's containing huge images in Tiff format, but it takes a lot of time to load, I have a new laptop with 3 gb of ram and a good processor, what can the problem be?

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The problem is probably two things - the size of the file and the fact that you're opening them off of a CD, which is not going to be as fast as reading from your hard drive. Your processor and RAM won't make a difference here - the access speed of the CD is what is slowing you down. As an experiment, you could try copying one of the images to your hard drive and opening it from there, and see if that's faster. What are you doing with the images once you open them? Do you need to access them a lot? If so, you might want to consider copying them to either your hard drive, or to an external hard drive. Either way, it should be faster than opening from a CD.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Well yes, I have copied files to the desktop and they open fast, but sometime the images are 100mb+ tiff's and it takes a long time to even let me copy them, a green bar above starts to load(what does this do), and when copy appears it takes a few minites to pass the image to the desktop. Is there any program that may open a preview of the images or somthing like that, that wont take a lot of time.?