Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

$1700 Laptop challenge

• Please log in to reply

upbb4884

upbb4884

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I come here seeking help. I need a new computer. My current computer just will not make the grade anymore(it has 256MB of RAM! The dinosaur is screaming as I type this!). I am a poor college student who needs to build a laptop that cost $1700 or less. I will be using this laptop for gaming mostly, however, I will be doing some of my college work on it. I know cheap and gaming do not go together, but I heard you guys and gals here would help me. Keep in mind I do not need a uber laptop, just a computer that can run. I do not know that much about computers, so I do not know if I can build one(can you even personally build a laptop?). If you post anything that can help me, I wish of you to provide me a link. Thank you in advance for any help you can afford me.

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
Well I'm not sure if I'm allowed to respond to people in this board. but since I to was looking for a laptop for college and gaming, I thought I'd bring up a Gateway laptop that's on sale at American Best Buy's (I think Canada too but I'm not sure).

It's from the Gateway P Series, The Gateway P-6860FX. The only "draw back" would be the processor's clock speed but that's only a "draw back" because it's dwarfed by everything else.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Mobile @ 1.83ghz
4GB RAM
8800m GTS
Screen's 1440 x 900

for 1349.99

I know you said you wanted to build your own but I still figured I'd bring it up. I take it you know a thing or two about computers if you want to build a laptop, so upgrading the processor on it shouldn't be a problem if you do decide to get it.

http://www.bestbuy.c...9#productdetail

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
You can't personally build a laptop as there are no parts for it that are sold like in desktop computers (in my knowledge), also upgrading is hard when you have a laptop. Only thing you can upgrade are the RAM (this one is easy) and in some cases the hard drive.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834220215

This one looks nice to me. :)

Troy

upbb4884

upbb4884

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I went out and bought the gateway. I love it. Thank you for your help. :)

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

I went out and bought the gateway. I love it. Thank you for your help. :)

For real?

Nice, how is it cause I really was giving it a thought. Looks nice. Anything you don't like?

upbb4884

upbb4884

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
So far nothing. I'm am no laptop expert, this is my first one. I will upgrade the processer in the future. A good processer + 8800m GTS + 4 gig o' ram will make this a really good computer.

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

So far nothing. I'm am no laptop expert, this is my first one. I will upgrade the processer in the future. A good processer + 8800m GTS + 4 gig o' ram will make this a really good computer.

yea
I'm really giving this a consideration. I'm still trying to figure out if I really need a laptop for College, because if not I'd just build a PC. But I figure if I do need one atleast this laptop sounds like it'll give me the best of both worlds.

Glad to see you aren't having much of a problem with it.