Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

inituser.exe failed to initalize 0xc0000005

• Please log in to reply

LawMur

LawMur

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The above meesage appears twice and then a blank screen with no icons, no task bar etc. Cannot use the computer at all. Same result in all Safe Modes. Last known good configuration does not work, same result. I have removed the HDD and mounted it as a USB drive off my laptop. Used CA-Antivirus and Anti-Spyware to scan. Found lots of malware some medium threat. removed all. Chkdsk reveals no bad sectors. Search for inituser.exe found no file by that name on my laptop or the desktop HDD.

Any suggestions on how best to proceed?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
f you can't even boot into safe mode...you will have to repair xp...lowdown is here.. this will not get rid of the malware though
after the repair...
Please go to the malware forum Start HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then start a new topic in the MALWARE FORUM forum here...

LawMur

LawMur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the quick reply happyrck..

I was afraid it might require a repair. Do you think there would be any advantage in mounting the drive off another computer via USB and using various anti-spyware programs to perform a preliminary clean? I have already done this with CA-ISS but know that other programs may find different spyware. I am always concerned that this method may not be very effective as it be treated differently by the scanner from when it is the boot drive. The other thought is that beacause the drive is not mounted there are no locks on any files and the spyware should not be active. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

LawMur

LawMur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ooops sorry I made a silly error above. What I said was...

The other thought is that beacause the drive is not mounted there are no locks on any files and the spyware should not be active

What I meant to say was...

The other thought is that beacause the drive is not BOOTING there are no locks on any files and the spyware should not be active

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
connecting the drive to another computer to scan for and remove malware works just fine...

LawMur

LawMur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update

1. Mounted drive via USB and scanned with Malwarebyte's anti-malware
2. Scanned again with CA-ISS
3. Booted from Drive and same behaviour as before
4. Ran Win Xp Pro repair twice. Computer now reboots continuously
5. Decision taken to format and re-install

Any suggestions?

LawMur

LawMur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update

1. Formatted the drive and reloaded WIN XP PRO with SP2 using CD from my Action pack
2. The install refused to accept the 25 digit license code.
3. Formatted the drive and reloaded WIN XP PRO without SP2 using CD from my Action pack
4. The install refused to accept the 25 digit license code.

Any suggestions?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The install refused to accept the 25 digit license code.

this is usually caused by using a zero instead of a letter O...or vise versa...or just not typing in the key code correctly
before trying to reinstall xp again...do a chkdsk /f/r on the drive
also when you do the reinstall...DO NOT use the quick format...
does the xp cd have a hologram on it or is it a OEM RESTORE DISK....

LawMur

LawMur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No O or 0
Tried using 8 instead of B
enter codes very carefully
have 2 to try and both rejected, tried each twice on each install with variations
when installing I do not use the quick format.
XP PRO with SP2 has the hologram
XP PRO without SP2 has none
both are from my action pack and so I guess are not recovery CDs
I will try to borrow a recovery CD
I have the feeling that for a given license code you can only use certain versions of the install. Is this correct?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the XP PRO with SP2 has the hologram cd came with your system and you are formatting the drive when you try the install...it SHOULD go on without any problems unless the hard drive itself has some bad sectors...try using the recovery console option on the install cd and run chkdsk /f/r
have you tried contacting whoever built the system to ask why the keycode is not being accepted..

LawMur

LawMur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Both CDs I am using have come from my MS Action Pack, not with the System. There is no recovery CD with this system. It is a very old white box system with no indication as to who built it. I have run CHKDSK with no aparent problems. I have the feeling its License code will only be accepted by an old install disk of Win XP Pro prior to SP1. Anyway I will try to borow a recovery CD from another client and see how we go with that install version.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the MAPS (Microsoft Action Pack) has some limitations like... XP Pro allows for up to 10 activations...have you exceeded that...
also You can do a clean install, however a previous OS must exist on the machine and the install is started from this OS. ...I suspect this is your problem because you said you formated and then tried to do a clean install..

Edited by happyrck, 26 May 2008 - 07:41 PM.