Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed WinXP and lost all internet software

• Please log in to reply

ckoehler

ckoehler

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I got the dreaded "...ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or corrupt" message after a reboot and I had to re-install winXp. now after the setup and install, my laptop has nothing on it. I can't connect to the internet because the bluetooth software must've been deleted somehow and I can't figure any of it out.

I do not have any disks so I cannot load anything on to the laptop. would an option be to connect the laptop manually to the internet like my computer is? but then what? how do I find the right software to get wireless internet back on my laptop?

on top of that, windows media player won't play dvds anymore. and every time I start the laptop I'm prompted for a password to log-on. all I have to do is press enter without a password, but the prompt is annoying. any way to get rid of that?

thanks in advance.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
what is the make and model number of your laptop?

ckoehler

ckoehler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it's a toshiba qosmio E15-av101

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

and every time I start the laptop I'm prompted for a password to log-on. all I have to do is press enter without a password, but the prompt is annoying. any way to get rid of that?

We can, Just remember it's a LOT safer to actually set a password.

I do not have any disks so I cannot load anything on to the laptop. would an option be to connect the laptop manually to the internet like my computer is? but then what? how do I find the right software to get wireless internet back on my laptop?
it's a toshiba qosmio E15-av101

Go Here. download the files on a PC with internet then put them over using a flash drive or CD-rom.

Regards,
Olrik

ckoehler

ckoehler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thank you so much. those drivers were incredibly helpful and I got my internet back!

EDIT: figured out how to get rid of the password prompt on my own, a matter of uninstallng a netWare program that was not allowing me to switch users.

but I still cannot play DVDs and now I just noticed when I'm scrolling webpages, the screen goes line by line instead of a smooth scroll like before. any idea about that?

and one more thing if you don't mind, wen I was reinstalling windows, I accidentally installed XP on the D: partition instead of the C: and now I have two WinXP Pro options when I start the laptop and have to choose which one to load. only the D: doesn't work and just restarts the computer. any way to wipe that clean or set the laptop to just autoboot to C:?

Edited by ckoehler, 25 May 2008 - 12:02 AM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

but I still cannot play DVDs and now I just noticed when I'm scrolling webpages, the screen goes line by line instead of a smooth scroll like before. any idea about that?

That's probably because you forgot your Video Drivers.
It takes the processor a lot longer to process the information then a video card can.

and one more thing if you don't mind,

Ofcourse I don't mind :)

when I was reinstalling windows, I accidentally installed XP on the D: partition instead of the C: and now I have two WinXP Pro options when I start the laptop and have to choose which one to load. only the D: doesn't work and just restarts the computer. any way to wipe that clean or set the laptop to just autoboot to C:?

Yes we can get rid of it, but first you need to awnser some questions for me.

What sort of information is on the D: partition?
How big in size is the C: partition?
How big in size is teh D: partition?
Also can you follow the steps below?

Let's look at the boot.ini file.
  • Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties".
  • In the Properties window, click on the "Advanced" tab.
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button.
  • In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini)
  • copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

Regards,
Olrik

ckoehler

ckoehler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the screen scrolls beautifully now. thank you so much! I thought I had gotten all the drivers but you were right, I installed the DVD-ram driver but not the nVidia display driver. haven't tried to play a dvd yet but I'll let you know if that's fixed, too. [EDIT: pearl jam dvd plays perfectly!!]

as for the D: and C: drives. D: I don't believe has anything on it. I just loaded the XP operating system and it doesn't work. just keeps restarting if I accidentally try to boot to it. I believe it has 6300MBs of space while the C: has something like 72000. does that seem right? I'm not exactly sure how to find that information and am reciting from memory.

here's the info you wanted me to copy:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

thanks again for your continued help :)

Edited by ckoehler, 26 May 2008 - 08:52 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Right, Open the boot.ini file again and remove the lines highlighted in red.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

After you removed the red lines try a reboot. You should no longer have 2 boot options.
You might want to consider formatting your D: partition and use it to store files if there's nothing on it right now.

Regards,
Olrik

ckoehler

ckoehler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

After you removed the red lines try a reboot. You should no longer have 2 boot options.
You might want to consider formatting your D: partition and use it to store files if there's nothing on it right now.

Regards,
Olrik

worked like a charm, thanks again! I would like to know how to format the D: partition, though. it'd be good to wipe it clean of XP since that's pretty much taking up all the space and not being used.

but I had another problem tonight when booting up. I got another black screen message and windows wouldn't load. this time it said windows\system32\config\systems was missing or corrupt. so I went into the recovery console and copied the file from the last restore point and now everything started up fine again, but I'm wondering... if I keep having problems booting due to missing or corrupt files, is there a larger underlying problem with the hard drive or mother board and I should have it looked at?

also, ever since I finished loading the last of the drivers the laptop takes a really long time to load, especially the graphics driver. is that normal?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

also, ever since I finished loading the last of the drivers the laptop takes a really long time to load, especially the graphics driver. is that normal?

How long is this exactly.
My laptop takes about 2 minutes to load but I have a lot of startup programs.
I'd say a home user's laptop shouldn't be taking more then a minute or so to load.

! I would like to know how to format the D: partition,

Open start and hit run.
In the runbox type: "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes)
Right click your D: partition and hit "Format".
Make sure you format this as NTFS

but I had another problem tonight when booting up. I got another black screen message and windows wouldn't load. this time it said windows\system32\config\systems was missing or corrupt. so I went into the recovery console and copied the file from the last restore point and now everything started up fine again, but I'm wondering... if I keep having problems booting due to missing or corrupt files, is there a larger underlying problem with the hard drive or mother board and I should have it looked at?

I've never had to deal with missing files so I personally don't know.
My advice would be to keep a close look at your C: drive's total diskspace (not free, not used, but total). If this is dropping over time your hard disk might be failing. If this just stays at a number then I don't think you'll have a bigger problem.
If you notice any other problems feel free to post back.

Regards,
Olrik

ckoehler

ckoehler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

My laptop takes about 2 minutes to load but I have a lot of startup programs.
I'd say a home user's laptop shouldn't be taking more then a minute or so to load.

Open start and hit run.
In the runbox type: "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes)
Right click your D: partition and hit "Format".
Make sure you format this as NTFS

am formatting the drive now, it's taking a really long time!

as for the start up, it takes over two minutes. there's about 75-80 seconds just loading the Windows screen with the little blue dotted line going across and then over another minute loading the start-up page, welcome screen and being able to finally get on the internet. this all started after I finished loading the last of the drivers (graphics) and put on a security alarm and AVG anti-virus. before that it only took about thirty seconds from the time I turned on the laptop til the time I was surfing the net.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Unplug your PC from the internet and try to remove your security alarm and AVG anti-virus.
If it still loads slowly I suggest re-installing your video drivers.

Regards,
Olrik

ckoehler

ckoehler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
uninstalled AVG and disabled ZoneAlarm and that cut the startup time in half. now it's back down to taking around one minute to fully boot. it's a lot quicker if I just start the programs myself then to have them auto-load.

thanks so much for all your help. every single suggestion you made was wonderful and I do believe you've fixed all of my problems... for now!

thanks again.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
You might want to keep AVG auto-starting though.
Protecting your PC is very important if you don't want to end up with malware on the computer.

Regards,
Olrik