Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Burning hot 8800 GTS

• Please log in to reply

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
It keeps bugging when im playing Oblivion, so i downloaded speedfan just in case, 63C. No cabling issues. This is the specific card.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the card is very hot to to the touch, kill the power to the computer immediately (bother not with shutting it down properly as it's the difference between whether the card stays usable or not) and then ensure that the fan is spinning and that any extra power connectors the card may need are connected. On some cards a missing connectors means the fan won't get powered, though the card will come on it'll quickly cook itself.

Also make sure any cables and what are not are not anywhere near the fan - I saw a computer recently that had a SATA data cable sitting literally underneath the graphic card fan. You could see the nick marks on the cable where the blades of the fan had been hitting it. It was enough to cause the computer to shut off when the graphics were under heavy load.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
all cables are connected. the card itself is not hot, but i think its the actual processor or something on the card that is hot. everything else in the case is relatively cool.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The actual processing unit is cooled by the fan. So if the fan isn't spinning, that's not good.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well there's a lifetime warranty. Should I remove it immediately or can I keep using it for a few more days until i send it to the manufacturer?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If you're not happy with it and its falling over under load and its under warranty, send it back. That's what we have warranties for.

mr_maxime

mr_maxime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Well i removed it just in case. Im not sure if its under warranty because I forgot to register it. Im pretty sure there is still something they can do about. In the future Ill remember to register everything.