Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

access denied

• Please log in to reply

justice seeker

justice seeker

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to delete some files from one drive that have been moved to another and I keep getting a pop up box that says access denied-can not delete- and something about check o see it file is currently in use or disk is write-protected.

What have I done???

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi there welcome to the site!

Make sure the files you want to delete aren't being used by a program. Some common examples would be music files being played by Winamp or Media Player or copy/paste-ing files (wait for it to finish before you manipulate the files).

Edited by ditrackster, 24 May 2008 - 08:56 AM.

justice seeker

justice seeker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. I have moved files from laptop to a portable harddrive. These files are not open--it must be something to do with write protected?? These are document files.

Edited by justice seeker, 24 May 2008 - 09:02 AM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hmmm...so you've already copied the files and now you want to delete the original ones...
I'm not really an expert, but how about you try to "safely remove" portable HD then delete the files.
You could also try to CUT then paste.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You need to take Ownership of the files to be able to access them. Check out the Microsoft website found HERE.