Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card or Motherboard not sure which one is wrong

• Please log in to reply

3vistasdesign

3vistasdesign

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone I am helping a friend out but trying to fix their pc. Their pc stopped working a few days ago. It would not boot up whatsoever it was turning on but and you can hear the hardrive and fan working but it was not beeping as if there is not enough power getting to the pc.

I took the pc home and opened it up to have a look it was incredibly dusty. I took out the memory ram and placed it into a different slow. After this the pc booted up but there was 1 long beep followed by 3 shorts beeps on start up. The bios screen said there was a cmos error and it had to be reset i rest the cmos and bios to optimum settings and the pc worked fine. Everytime i tested the boot up i got the same 1 long beep and 3 short beeps followed by 2 quick beeps a little later on. The pc booted up 7 times on the trot and even when i tried it later in the day it booted up.

The next day i tested it and it didn't boot up. I moved the memory ram into the third slot and the pc booted up again with the 1 long beep and the 3 shorts beeps.

I wondered if the ram slots were going on the motherboard as i have tested a new memory chip in the pc and it did exactly the same thing.

Looking up the beep codes they state that it could either be a memory problem (not seated properly or bad memory) or a graphics card problem. I unfortunately cannot put a new graphics card in as i don't have access to one at present. I live in the sticks in spain and because of this it is not too easy to get hold of parts.

I was just wondering if this sounds like a motherboard or graphics card problem. I realise that it is hard to say without seeing the pc but if anyone could point me in the right direction in terms of tests i could do or any thoughts it would be very much appreciated.

I don't want to tell them to fork out for a new graphics card or motherboard and find out that still doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide

Regards

Tim

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum!

Well until you are able to try a new graphics card there's not much point in our making any guesses or suggestions about any other possibilities as it may prove to be the graphics card after all --- especially as the beep codes support that possibility. Trying a new graphics card would be the first thing any knowledgeable forum member would ask you to do, given the information you've posted.

If the problem persists after doing that then, of course, we will try and help you with alternative suggestions.