Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

gman4050

gman4050

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey everyone, i recently just bought Age Of Conan, which i was not sure if i was going to be
able to play considering my system requirments.
My computer is 5 years old btw.

here is mine.

Microsoft Windows XP

Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 1536MB Ram
Direct x9

not really sure of everything else.. not a big computer person.
i was wondering if you guys could help me build (by telling me good product)
a better computer, or just recommend What i could do to make my build meet up to the new games coming out on the market. EX. Age of Conan.

thanks everyone.
-garrett

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Age Of Conan system requirements:

[Recommended]
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 or equivalent
CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
System Ram: 2 GB
Operating System: Windows XP SP2 or Vista
Drive Type: DVD Drive
Free Disk Space: 30 GB
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c Graphics Card with Shader 3.0 support (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX or equivalent)

It might run but it probably won't be very happy.

gman4050

gman4050

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah..
i agree.

i have come to the conclusion that i am going to get a new CPU =/
Which is awesome accept its gonna cost over 1g's for a good new gaming computer.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

So you have $1000 for a new computer, and you're looking for help on choosing parts? This is a bit unclear, here.

Troy

gman4050

gman4050

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yeah.. i am getting my computer pieced together at a local computer tech shop.
i was just wondering if u guys could help me find the right parts.. for ex.

a quad core 3ghz processor
2 g of ram.
a 250-350$ vid card.
ect.

im just not to smart when it comes to computers.

thanks

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
There's no Quad Core that's at 3.0GHz so you'll have to overclock it if you want it at 3.0 (they're mostly between 2.4-2.66GHz).

Kamille

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

I'm sure the local tech shop will be more than willing to help you choose your parts, they are after a sale! I would suggest the following guidelines:

A high-end dual core (E8400) or quad core (Q9300 or Q6600).
At least 2GB of quality RAM, I would be looking at 4GB in a 2x 2GB kit. 800MHz is a nice quick speed for the price.
A minimum 600-watt high-quality power supply, like a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610W
For the graphics card, I would suggest the 8800GTS (512MB), or second choice is a 9600GT - both Nvidia cards

Actually it's funny, as I type this up I can see kamille316's signature of his parts - this is a good list. (Yeah, that's a compliment - nice rig! :)) So if you could get something similar like this, you would be off to a great start.

Cheers

Troy

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Actually it's funny, as I type this up I can see kamille316's signature of his parts - this is a good list. (Yeah, that's a compliment - nice rig! :)) So if you could get something similar like this, you would be off to a great start.

Thanks troy :)

I agree with troy, ask the local tech shop to help you pick the parts but don't buy it yet and post it here so we can tell you if its a good list.

Kamille