Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network Printer

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Simply cannot print from her machine although I can print from both mine and the Macintosh.

The printer is attached to my PC.

Tried everything. Add Printer on hers (it can't find the printer). I could go on and on. And yet from her machine I can, in My Network Places, access my desktop and the Mac. Same from the Mac and my PC I can access her machine.

I'm sure this has been addressed and have searched for a solution to no avail.

Appreciate your attention,

Bob

Edited by Robert Tracy, 24 May 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Advertisements

thejones6

thejones6

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello Jarhead, old retired Marine replying. I've experienced the same issues after I downloaded the "trial" version of MS Office 2007. I'm not saying that we share this same experience, only that I share your same problem in the "reinstalll) of my network. Ultimately, in this sequence, I deleted all printers from both the PC's and the network. For some reason, if a printer exists on the network, XP runs over and looks at the port and trys to overlay its self in the port on the other printer. Acting like my install is actly a "replace." Once all is deleted, reinstal the printer/drivers on the PC which it will be attached to but not on the network yet. Then, install the printer to the network, through "Network Places." Big difference here which I believe to the problem we share, you install it as a Local or attached printer, not as a "network" print. Yes, the printer will be networked but "through" the PC and yes, to print the attached PC will have to be "ON" to "See" the printer on the network and use it. When you view the network work connections, you will only see the PC. Once you click and expand the network PC will you find the printer. So, now go to the "Detached" PC. This time, your "Not" installing a Printer... Through "Network" places, go to and then throught the other PC and select the printer. Just right click and set as default printer, close the hood, go to chow, see ya at 13:00.

If that doesn't help, I maybe because of some Op Sys issues which we didn't discuss. I can help you there as well. I installed a Vista PC on my network of "majority" XP-PC's. What a mess but I got the answer to that and it is simple, but is a different way of looking at the network than I believe your use to, but easy and completely logical.

S/F and God Bless, Top

thejones6

thejones6

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Devil Dog, I have to run, but it looks as if many people are having the same problem and I am not sure I helped you and I will not be around to clerify... XP was a big step in local networks. Up until XP, networks were hardware driven and the issues revolved around the network components and their compatibly with other network components andPC/OS.
XP extended "Plug and Play" as a tool to adapt and overcome the compatiblity issues. To do that, XP creates a "Virtual" network, operating as a network/controller/driver. When you are installing anything, you must first ask yourself what am I instal and into what/which environment.

Simply, the virtual only networks PC's (XP talking to XP, using the Modems, switches, routers, etc to accomplish that) and therefore, installation and drivers only need to be installed on the PC to which the printer is attached. The other PC's on the network will see the printer and by selecting and by default, you just set a path and XP does the rest. The issue you maybe having, in addition or my discover, network/PC security "requires" the owning PC to grant "permission" for its OS and printer to accept commands from network or intern sources. Granting permission does not in its self establish a network and establishing a network doesn't mean you have access unless and until permission is granted..."By your leave Sir?".... You must do both!

As I said XP to vista to XP is a diferent but the same animal. Because Vista use Groove and Share Point for file and hardware sharing, and thanks to the Hackers of the world, Vista will dominate a network over XP and like "Lead, follow, or get out of my way..." well Vista says, "F... all of you, I'm in charge!" Easy peasy, if the printer is on an XP PC, great! set up a "second" local XP vertual network and reconnect through network places, the other XP/PC to the printer, through the new XP dedicated network and let Vista go play with himself... If the Printer is on the Vista system, with some additional cost, I put the Printer on the Network as a Stand alone device through a network print server PSUS4. This is where the XP crowd all stands and say BS! Up you have to them install the server driver and print drivers on "EACH" and every PC because the comfortable world of the vertual is gone and your connect each, directly and independently to the printer/server. You will have to still keep XP and Vista apart, in their own vertual worlds but your XP PC can access the Vista PC throught the Vista world (and vice versa) and XP to XP can access through their world and everyone is happy so long as you remember to grant access and you haven't exceeded your license agreement on your driver installs...

Stay safe, love them while you got'um.

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hello Marine MSgt!

Fast reply. Unexpected. Except coming from the "Top". "Always ask the Gunny". Well, I'm bypassing him and going straight to the top.

You say

I deleted all printers from both the PC's and the network.

Did that too. Thing is, she doesn't need a printer on her PC since she'll be sharing my printer. Correct? I even downloaded the latest driver for the Epson Stylus C88 to her machine knowing it's not necessary. By the way, that new driver did get me printing whereas the driver that came with the printer got me nowhere. I'm uninstalling that driver from her machine.

Just right click and set as default printer.

Yes Top. I've got as far as seeing in Add Printer
Microsoft Windows Network
and expanding I see only
Workgroup.
It's elusive. Earlier I expanded it as far as "seeing" the Mac.

Hope to see you back at say between 14:00 and 15:00 my time (Indiana).

But no rush. Meanwhile wishing you a Happy Memorial holiday.

Semper Fi!

Jarhead or Mac or Leatherneck or Marine or Devil Dog etc....

Edited by Robert Tracy, 24 May 2008 - 12:23 PM.

Baddie

Baddie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am not a leather neck or a jar head but I served in the army. My father was in the marines during Vietnam. Any how to your problem. in order to get your machines to talk to each other and to print this is what you will need to do. This is what my company does to set up networks for home users.

Click on start then go to the control panel

go to network connections

Right click on the local area connection and go to properties

click add

select protocol

then you want to add the netbios protocol

and you want to do this on all machines that you want to network print on

after that you will want to run the network set up wizard
(it can be found in the control panel)

click next, next, click on other then next, click the middle option then next, Make sure you describe the PC and give each pc a different name then click next, on this screen make sure that all the computers are on the same network ( I usually use home here) then click next, at this point you want to leave the file and print sharing ON then click next, you will have a confirm box click yes and then click next, click the bottom option and then next, then finish.

It may ask you to restart the computer at this point you should

once you do that then you have to do one other thing then you will not have to worry about printing anymore

on the computer that isnt connected to the printer you will need to find the printer on the network

open any program that can print (ie word, wordpad, notepad)

i usually use notepad to do this

type in anything in the note pad (ie: this is a test)

click on file then print then you should click on find printer

at this point you should see your other computer and if you click on that you should see the name of your pinter there

click on that and then click on ok.

then it will print!

I hope this will help you out let me know if you have anymore trouble

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Leatherneck or Jarhead. Doesn't matter. We called you Army men "Doggies" as a kind of affectionate term for serving along side us Marines. And I thank you. A time or two the Army came in for us when the Marines were tied up.

Everything you post here I've tried. Except:

click add

select protocol

then you want to add the netbios protocol

I see no "add" under properties, nor "protocol" nor "netbios protocol".

But it's OK. I've got the printer working on both my PC and my Mac. My wife, when needed, will send me what she wants printed [actually I can "see" her desktop and drive (C:)] so I just grab her text file from her desktop, or if it's something on the internet I go there and print what she wants.

Thanks again Army. Much appreciated that you took the time to look at my problem. However, unless I find a way to achieve the ideal: i.e., for her to print from her 8 year old dying machine I'm satisfied with the way it is.

Have a happy Memorial holiday.

Robert

Baddie

Baddie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
That is my bad and i am terribly sorry for the misinformation

it should read as follows

click on install

click on protocol

then click on add

then netbios

sorry for the confusion

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Sorry. Did what you suggested. Now I can't print at all, neither from my PC or the Mac. I could print before I did this.

I'll keep at it.

I do know that when my wife could print using my shared printer, there was in her Printers and Faxes an icon of the printer on my PC. Now it asks to Add a printer, and seaches and finds no printer. I brouse for the printer on my PC and it fails to find it even though I offer the name I give my printer: "Printer".

You don't say if your father is alive. In any case, a Semper Fi! to him.

Baddie

Baddie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes my father is still alive, and it would be easier if i could take alook at your system, there is a remote connect on msn messenger. i can connect to your machine and get them working if you would like me to.

if you dont have msn you can messenger then you can download it here

http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

then you will just need to add me to your friends list
[email protected]

then to start the remote connect session
start> help and support > Under ask for assastance - invite a friend to connect to your computer.

then i can take a look at your system and see what is going on ... that is if you would like me to

Take care

Dustin

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Dustin,

Kind of scary to do this. I've done it once before with a friend who had a Masters in Computer Science. But he's gone. Suicide.

OK. I'll trust you. Just let me re-read how to do it via messenger. I'm sure that I had removed messenger from my machine at some earlier time.

All right. I'll get started. Stand by...

Robert

Advertisements

Baddie

Baddie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i am here waiting

Baddie

Baddie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
or if you are having trouble with that you can send me a email at that same address with your phone number and i can call you and get this hooked up and taken care of

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Dustin,

No, I think I have messenger set up and ready. I'll add you to my friends and go from there. Right now I'm just getting superfluous stuff off my desktop to an external hard drive so it won't be in the way. It's taking a while.

But why not use Windows Remote Assistance? Doesn't matter much to me how we do this. Just know that with things like messenger I'm a little slow. In a couple of ways.

1. I'm not used to it.

2. I feel like I have to type so fast and although I suppose I type at 40WPM+ I do tend to try to rush an answer to you if you ask it. So bear with me on that.

I'll be there in a few moments. Transferring this stuff to my external HD is showing 12 min. and then 51 min. etc. Once that's done I'll invite you and see how this goes.

You solve this and you may become one of the Staff at Geeks to Go.

BTW, I installed a trial version of Microsoft Office Professional 2000. That was months ago and after that I noticed things going wrong. And I've tried everything I know to uninstall that with no success. Wonder if that's a big part of my problems.

Later (just a few minutes to finish copying to my external drive. I want my desktop as clean as possible for you and for me.

Robert

Baddie

Baddie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
yea that is what we are going to use but need some way to contact me through it in my experience in the past with it is that it doesnt like to go through the email that well you can try it and see

thejones6

thejones6

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello Marine,

I just got back to my PC and E-Mail. Certainly by now you have gotten the help and answers you needed. I didn’t pick up on the Mac to XP condition but I think you could have figured out that my advice would have been the same as the XP to Vista problem. Two independent networks to the Print and one for XP to Mac share. You really don’t me the print server, I made that jump because I have seven PC’s on my network (Big Family) and it serves to isolate problems to specific PC and takes the “Network” out of the problem solving loop…

Mac is the way to go! MS and Apple are coming to the center and meeting of the minds but MS is really the furthest behind! Because of compatibility from home to office, is the only reason I haven’t made the job. But now, with Apple and MS sharing licenses… i.e. Office; the reason is gone to stay with MS. MS relying so heavily on coded structure begs the hackers to hop in and play. Apple is more dynamic or in lingo Object oriented/virtual, every Apple PC has different addresses to files or operating programs and this in its self, prevents hackers.

On this most sacred of Holy Days, I did want to extend my thanks for your service to your county and its people. An effort few would under take and being a Marine is an effort even fewer dare dream.

Semper Fi Marine!

Nick