Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network Printer

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Nick,

I have seven PC’s on my network (Big Family)

I'll say!

Got a friend, a VV who tells me to get the [bleep] away from the PC's and go all Mac. Not easy to do for a number of reasons, least of which is the cost. But my wife will get the Mac Mini ASAP. One down. I still have use for my PC and can't just do what he says yet: "Stay away from Vista and start migrating everything to the Mac."

You write:

few would under take and being a Marine is an effort even fewer dare dream.

Semper Fi Marine!

Didn't have much choice in those years. Be drafted or enlist.

And a Semper Fi! to you Marine.

Robert

Advertisements

thejones6

thejones6

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I know this is "killing the cat" but did you get everything working?

Know all about choices! MC and PC. There was a time when MS was the way to go... many more software options, from other companies and for me, it was a time when my employee (US Gov/USMC) selected DOS then Windows as their drug of choice. I know the contradiction, clearly, while in Albany designing a new Supply/Maintenance/Accounting System (M3S). The whole thing crashed around everyone's ears because the system was too complex for a DBase and or systems written in "Fortran, Pascal, etc. So, the Corps in its wonderful wisdom bought an AMDAL Virtual Memory Mainframe (Hybrid UNIX OS jsut like or close to MAC today and Vista is trying to go...). Guess what? Your same problem today! Interface with all the Corps' DOS/Windows PC they had purchased was an initiative killer.

With congress and OMB looking over our shoulder, we pulled Atlass and LMIS out from our dark places as the stars and bars career saver. Sad to think, right now, in some boxes, in some warehouse, there is one system which would not only replace four current systems but you know about the diversity of the Corps Mission... Land, Sea, Air, etc. This systems in the private sector could change the world.

We never had a test run fail, only the OS system locking down because we had shoved the square peg of a DBase structure in a round whole of Virtual environment. Today, (if they haven't throw everything away) it would be an easy task to put it together with off the shelf operation systems.

Sorry, TMI

If I can help, let me know. I just find the coincidence to funny to resist comment.

S/F Nick

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

did you get everything working?

As much as I care to have, yes. The printer works on two machines.

So, the Corps in its wonderful wisdom...

I know. When I was in the Corps I sort of subscribed to the funny tenet "Eat the Apple, ....the Corps.". Just wanted my time to be served and be out.

Once out though, I love the Corps.

Much of this is off topic I know. And I don't understand the computer language you know.

All that beside the point, glad you asked.

Semper Fi!

Robert