Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot time loop!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I own a Toshiba Satellite P25-S50 laptop. My wife has been using it and at some point it just locked up with all kinds of crap. The login Toshiba screen comes up then flashes to the Windows XP screen then a blue screen of death flashes for about a second and then it starts all over again in a loop! It will not boot into safe mode. I used F8 to stop system restart to read the error which is as follows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as cacing or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0X000000ED (0x82F44C08,0xC0000015,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I tried some of the suggestions but most I could not do. I am not sure how to disable the BIOS options.
Don't know anything else to tell!

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts
Hi, Symmetrix :)

Welcome.

Do you have a Windows XP Installation CD? If you do, follow these steps:
  • Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
  • Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.
  • At the command prompt, type exit , and then press ENTER to restart your computer.

Note: When booting to the Recovery Console, the the process should bring you to the (Drive letter\Windows folder) command prompt. If other than the (Drive letter\Windows) folder command prompt, such as C:\ or E:\, something may be wrong with your Operating System.

This takes a considerable amount of time. Be patient.

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I only have a XP Pro disk. The laptop has XP Home Edition. I used the Pro disk and it loaded fine. When it came time to type chkdsk/r, it said there the command is not recognized. I typed help for a list and it had chkdsk. I ran that and it said the volume was ok. Do I need the XP Home Disk or can I download RC somewhere?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts
It should work with that CD.

chkdsk /r (The space between chkdsk and /r is needed)

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
O.k., typed it correctly and the scan only got to 9% and said:
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. Gee, doesn't sound real good............................ :) Typed exit after and still had the loop. Any final ideas before the drive has to get wiped clean?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts

O.k., typed it correctly and the scan only got to 9% and said:
The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. Gee, doesn't sound real good............................ :) Typed exit after and still had the loop. Any final ideas before the drive has to get wiped clean?

As the last result, at the command prompt type the following command:

Fixboot (Press Enter)

If that would not resolve the problem, that would be it for that drive. If you didn't backup your documents, installing the drive in another computer as a slave, would give you a chance to backup before formating.

Good luck! :)

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Tried this and it says the bootsector is corrupt. and cannot be fixed. Can you point me to a section on your site or another to reformat the drive and install XP Pro?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts

Doesn't that computer has a Recovery CD? The Recovery CD should format the drive and re-image the computer to factory settings.

Our Windows XP Forum will be helpful in providing you with information on How to format and reinstall Windows.

Symmetrix

Symmetrix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Is there a way to still recover the drive data? I did not make a recovery CD. The laptop was purchased through Best Buy with everything installed.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts

I am sure that if you contact Toshiba, you may be able to obtain a Recovery CD. It will be cheaper than installing XP throughout a clean install.

In regard to your Data, being a laptop, it is possible, but tedious. For example, it may require to remove the Hard drive and connect it to another computer as a slave drive by means of special adapter.

You can also try ERD Commander. This is a Microsoft diagnostic tool that you may be able to run, and transfer the Data to another storage device such as, a Pen drive. I am not sure if it is possible as I have not tried this. Here is the link for the ERD Commander.

Please download & install the Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset

Once you have it installed, locate the file :

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset\erd50.iso

It's an ISO file which you may burn onto a CD. Boot the sick machine with the ISO CD. At boot, do not attach to your Windows Installation. See if you are able to move files from their location to the external drive.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts
The topic is now opened.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts
The topic is now re-opened.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 10,961 posts
The topic is now closed for good. Should you require further assistance, please open a new topic.

Thanks!