Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Anio.sys' what is this?

• Please log in to reply

neil

neil

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My firewall keeps asking me to grant permission for this file to access the internet, I'm not sure what it is or what it does, any ideas?

Info
Operating system: Windows 2000
Internet connection: ADSL
Firewall: Sygate personal firewall
File in question: C:\winnt\system32\anio.sys

Thanks for any help !
/neil

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't know...not a standard windows file

navigate to that directory, right click it, choose properties, flip through the VERSION tab, and report back

neil

neil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Heres the new info:

version: 2.0.0.3050
description: ANIO(NT5) Drivers
Copywrite: Copywrite© 2001-2005 Alpha Networks Inc

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
/neil

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
seems to be something to do with your network card....from what i can find alpha networks was once part of dlink, but was split off to work with odms/oems

what kind of PC is this? what kind of NIC is in it? Gigaethernet integrated on the motherboard,perhaps?

This is what I would consider doing....reboot into safe mode, then rename the file anio.sys to anio.bak.

I would probably install my recovery console first, though, just in case safemode tanks to....do you have a windows cd?

neil

neil

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
This sounds promising!

I'm running a laptop PC which is connected to a LAN networt by ethernet cable when I am in the office and by a D-Link wireless network connection to a D-link ADSL modem at home. It is at home that I use Sygate firewall and get these access issues.

I guess it it not strange if there are files from D-link there if I have a D-link set up. I am right in thinking that as I am using a wireless card to access my modem then Sygate firewall will not only be between me and the internet but also me and the modem? If this is the case it is not strange that there are d-link files trying to pass the firewall.

How to I go about finding out about files like you have done here, did you just search using a regular browser or is there a special site which has the info. I have lots of files which ask for access and it would save everyone lots of time if I knew how to do it myself :tazz:

I havn't run the safe mode it yet, I thought I would wait to hear you comments.

Thanks again!
Neil