Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Did a virus damage my ethernet card? [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Fabricio

Fabricio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Somehow, I can't connect through ethernet anymore... my pc doesn't accept it, only USB, but when I reinstalled my modem, it showed that I have an ethernet card and it asks which one do I want to connect through... but only USB works... is there anything I can do?
Thank you

Edited by Fabricio, 24 May 2008 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Welcome to GTG.

I doubt it's a virus causing this problem. I assume you are using a cable modem? I see this being used for cable modems and it can be a pain to connect through ethernet. If you ran the setup already and it still only recognizes USB, I suggest contacting your ISP to see if they have any insight on this.

Fabricio

Fabricio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
thanks for replying...

Do you think maybe my ethernet card is damaged and needs to be replaced?
I used to be able to connect through ethernet before until one day my pc got a virus and I decided to use the recovery CD and reinstall windows.... then I had to download a bunch of things again, like graphic, sound...

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Go into your Device Manager and confirm that the network adapter (not the wireless one) is recognized there. It could be a missing driver issue.

I would suggest posting in the Windows board for more support on this issue as I don't think it's virus/malware related.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.