Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook or outlook express

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I am using Outlook Express as my e-mail application but I am wondering if Outlook would be a better choice. Can Outlook Express check incoming for viruses? Would Outlook be on my XP cd? If so how would I install it if I wanted to change over to it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Outlook is a separate program from Windows which comes as part of Microsoft Office. It is not available on your XP CD.

Outlook is the big brother of Outlook Express and adds a whole range of things that you may or may not want - calenders, contacts and its a personal organiser sort of program too. The only thing it won't do that Outlook Express will is access to Usenet. However a lot depends on what you want to do - just to send and receive mail, Outlook Express is fine, though it has been discontinued support-wise.

Personally I'm not a fan of Outlook and I'm not exceptionally keen on Outlook Express's replacement, Windows Live Mail either. Thunderbird, which is a free e-mail client, looks remarkably similar to Outlook Express, does everything it does and a little bit more, and you can get the functionality of Outlook via the extensions too.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thanks Neil... I tried Thunderbird a long while back. I don't remember why I gave it up fpr Outlook Express but maybe I should give it another try. I have a Gmail account and OE down loads the Gmail ok. Can Thunderbird be set up to receive Gmail accounts? I actually still have it on my computer - maybe its fate :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Thunderbird works with all email providers that use POP3 and IMAP service protocols. Gmail uses POP3 so that's fine, all the details you need are on the Gmail site to set Thunderbird up with.
The only thing that Thunderbird won't do is access Hotmail accounts, but the Webmail extension and appropriate plug-ins will get round that.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thanks again Neil. I have Thunderbird set up and receiving all my e-mail. I think I am going to use it as my default email client until either something better comes along or it gives me trouble. My guess either one is not going to happen soon. Thanks again.... :)