Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange files in my Windows Folder

• Please log in to reply

markw47

markw47

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi all,

When I open my local C drive/Windows the first 4 columns are files I have never seen before in my Windows folder. They look like this - $NtUninstallKB898461$ and they are blue letters instead of the normal black. They are all different of course than the example above but only in that the numbers change. The first one is - $NtServicePackUninstallIDNMitigationAPIs$ I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but I did remove the Google Desk Top program that came with my e Machine XP.

Anyone know if this is something I should do something about?

Regards,
Mark

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Those folders are for uninstalling Windows Updates. If you open up one of the folders, you will see the file name spuninstall inside of it, which is what would be run to uninstall that particular update. You will probably never have to run these, so you could technically delete those folders, but I wouldn't recommend it, not unless you are having serious space issues on your hard drive. You know how it is. You throw something away thinking you've had it forever and never needed it, and bam, you need it soon after you threw it away. :)

*EDIT* -- The files are blue because they are compressed, most likely by the Windows Cleanup Utility. It's nothing to worry about.

Edited by Fenor, 25 May 2008 - 05:23 AM.

markw47

markw47

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thank you Fenor.... I appreciate your time and advice.