Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ide hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply

alphaguy

alphaguy

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have tried every suggestion on the net to try to solve this problem, but none of the cases seem to be the same as mine. Basically BIOS isnt detecting my hard drive
Im using a western digital 160 gb hard drive
It all started when i was gaming one day and all of a sudden my computer froze. I was forced to press the reset button as nothing else would work, and after that i got the reboot and select proper boot device msg

at first i thought that the hard drive may have died as i have had it for a while, but when i plugged it in on another computer, it worked fine. Ive tried things such as taking out the power supply and reputting it back in. reseting the thing. Play with BIOS settings. I even tried plugging in a cd rom IDE cable into my hard drive to see if it would run. None of it worked. Id normally bring it out for someone to fix, but its sunday now and i have some work i need to do, and nobody is open. IF anyone knows anything about this, please help me out. It reads my cdrom drives and floppy drive, but it doesnt read any of my hard drives (i have two that i plug in seperately) ive had the computer for years and the hard drive has never had a jumper in it so i doubt it is the problem. (i always only have 1 hd connected at a time anyway) yes.. thats all.. i think... please help me out, thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like a mainboard problem if the drives this board can't see can be seen on other computers. Have you tried it the other way round, other drives on this computer that others can see?
Assuming the BIOS is set to find all the devices automatically (most of them are) then the drive controllers have failed on the board and all you can do is replace the board.

Edited by Neil Jones, 26 May 2008 - 04:09 AM.