Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Updating Video Drivers?

• Please log in to reply

shel2004

shel2004

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am playing Tomb Raider Anniversary on my PC. I have Windows XP. The game seems to run in slow motion, as compared to the older Tomb Raider games which run just fine. I had read of some fixes on the TR forums, and one of them was to update your video drivers. Now I don't know what they are, but will updating them, help the game play faster? Amd if so can I get some direction as to how to do so? Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi shel2004!

Yes, updating video card (along with chipset and audio) can help immensely when playing a game. As games get newer, they use newer technology, and as such, video card manufacturer's have to write new programs (aka drivers) that will allow the video card to process this new technology. That being said, you definitely should update your drivers and we can help. What we need from you is the make and model of your PC if it's a prebuilt computer (like an HP, Dell, eMachine, etc...) or the model numbers of your video card and motherboard if it's a computer that was built from parts by either you, a friend/family member or computer store.

Once you post that information then we can get you pointed in the right direction for updating your computer's drivers.

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
At the risk of sounding completely stupid is there anywhere on my computer that I can find that info?

I do know it is a dell dimension, something or other

I think its the Dell Dimension B110/1100 series

Edited by shel2004, 25 May 2008 - 12:37 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
There are no dumb people, but rather dumb people who don't ask questions when they should. :)

As for your question, if you say you have a Dell Dimension, then it should say somewhere on the front of the case (the side with the power button you hit to turn your computer on). It could be on the top or bottom or even around the power button itself in a circular pattern.

Edited by Fenor, 25 May 2008 - 12:37 PM.

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Well then it is the Dell Dimension B110

I also used run, and typed in dxdiag and it says the system model is Dell DE051 if that means anything.

Edited by shel2004, 25 May 2008 - 12:41 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can get the newest drivers for your computer from HERE.

Just download them and run them and follow the on-screen instructions.

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I am insure of what I need to do, do I need to download everything on the page? Or just one specific thing. Really clueless computer user here!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download the following:Save each of those to your MY DOCUMENTS folder and then once they are both downloaded, run the chipset one first and when it's done reboot your computer (Even if it doesn't prompt you at the end of the installation). Once rebooted, run the Video Card one and again reboot at the end, even if not prompted.

shel2004

shel2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Okay downloaded the chipset one with no problems, however the video card one said that the one I downloaded (from the link you supplied) said it was older than the version I am currently running. So I clicked no to downloading it. Was that correct and if so do I need to update anything else? Or am I good to go?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yeah good call on not installing the video card one. You are all set with drivers it looks like. The fact that you are using onboard video (meaning it's built into the motherboard and not a separate card) you won't get great experiences playing games as onboard video isn't meant for gaming but rather just for simple office stuff (word, excel, etc..) and surfing the net and playing Internet-based games (like Yahoo! Games, MSN Zone, etc...), so don't be surprised if you don't see any improvement in TR:A.