Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Restore to Factory Settings without CD

• Please log in to reply

Joel Sulger

Joel Sulger

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok so my computer has been infested with spyware over and over. Im looking for a way to restore to factory settings without the CD which I lost. I bought a dell inspiron 1500 laptop. System restore is not working because restore point i previously set is not on there. I downloaded and ran AVG ( took 2 hours to scan) and it found alot of spyware and I thought removed but it still is giving me pop ups and warning of trojan viruses. I have restored to factory settings before without cd key but cannot remember how to. I remember way I did it was like by pushing control F8 or soemthing when start up was happening and this brought me to the screen to restore to factory. Now it isnt working when try it is it control F something else or what? Can someone help me figure out how to do this again? Thank you.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Try F11. F8 is for safe mode and boot to last known good configuration.

Joel Sulger

Joel Sulger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
F11 didnt work.. I got to Bios by F12 but cannot find the system restore there.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Well....you either go to the maker's website and find your model and see if there is a manual with instructions or post the make and model of your computer here and I will do my best to find out all I can on it.

It's peaked my interest seeing that F12 takes you to the bios.
But you can't restore an operating system from there.

Joel Sulger

Joel Sulger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok i tried again and ctrl F11 worked this time i had to hold it down for a bit and just wait it sits for a while last time i did it i clicked to bios i guess. It sits and loads for like 2-3 minutes. Thanks for the help

envisible

envisible

• Pip
  • 1 posts
well im trying this too and i have never restored my computer to factory settings before my uncle used to but i when even he does it it takes him like a month before he gives the computer back so im trying to do it myself. i tried f8 it doesnot have the repair system option or factory settings option i tried f12 that dint either. idk if f11 is safe tho cause my pc keeps beeping for like as long as i hold it

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
To CMPM and others reading this.

It's peaked my interest seeing that F12 takes you to the bios.
But you can't restore an operating system from there.

There has never been any place in the bios to restore an OS to factory. What you might be thinking of is "load bios defaults". This is completely different.

Bishopman989

Bishopman989

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Is it possible to restore your computer but keep all of the saved documents on your computer without moving them some where else

heartofasoldier0

heartofasoldier0

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Ok so my computer has been infested with spyware over and over. Im looking for a way to restore to factory settings without the CD which I lost. I bought a dell inspiron 1500 laptop. System restore is not working because restore point i previously set is not on there. I downloaded and ran AVG ( took 2 hours to scan) and it found alot of spyware and I thought removed but it still is giving me pop ups and warning of trojan viruses. I have restored to factory settings before without cd key but cannot remember how to. I remember way I did it was like by pushing control F8 or soemthing when start up was happening and this brought me to the screen to restore to factory. Now it isnt working when try it is it control F something else or what? Can someone help me figure out how to do this again? Thank you.

what you are looking for is Alt + F10 before the windows startup screen...I had the exact same problem you do and googled this page and the guy that helped u didnt help me really at all..so i messed around with the startup codes and and it took me to the bios... I think this might only work for windows vista but who knows...i hope this helps someone who barely know what the other guy was talking about lol what this does is wipe out the drive except for the windows files and u start all over again rather than take it to get it cleaned for 50$ and if ur computer didnt come with a Windows disk and u also dont want to pay 300$ for a windows disk....

-brAd

Edited by heartofasoldier0, 31 July 2010 - 11:30 PM.

heartofasoldier0

heartofasoldier0

• Pip
  • 2 posts

well im trying this too and i have never restored my computer to factory settings before my uncle used to but i when even he does it it takes him like a month before he gives the computer back so im trying to do it myself. i tried f8 it doesnot have the repair system option or factory settings option i tried f12 that dint either. idk if f11 is safe tho cause my pc keeps beeping for like as long as i hold it

try Alt + F10 on startup like i said this may only work for vista but who knows

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have to use the correct combination of keys. And that is dependent on the computer manufacturer and whether there is even a recovery partition.
The following are only a few.

Recovery Partitions

Dell
press and hold ctrl + F11 for recovery

HP
Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

Gateway
you're supposed to hold down the ALT key and repeatedly tap f10.
When you hit F11, the system boots to another partition on the hard drive.

iKiddmars

iKiddmars

• Pip
  • 1 posts

You have to use the correct combination of keys. And that is dependent on the computer manufacturer and whether there is even a recovery partition.
The following are only a few.

Recovery Partitions

Dell
press and hold ctrl + F11 for recovery

HP
Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

Gateway
you're supposed to hold down the ALT key and repeatedly tap f10.
When you hit F11, the system boots to another partition on the hard drive.

What are the steps for Emachines

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
E Machines factory restore. However, if the drive is new or has been formated completely the partition won't be there.

E Machines

IceyCake

IceyCake

• Pip
  • 3 posts

E Machines factory restore. However, if the drive is new or has been formated completely the partition won't be there.

E Machines

Would the ones you posted above work on a Toshiba laptop as well?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
In order for us to help you correctly you need to start your own topic.