Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did Vietnam corrupt my memory cards?

• Please log in to reply

TecmoBowlTed

TecmoBowlTed

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello, great site and thank you for helping!!

I recently traveled to vietnam and used an internet cafe to burn picture cds with my Memory Stick Pro memory cards. The photos weren't showing up properly in Explorer, and I asked the shopkeeper for help. "Oh yeah, it's just a virus." Grrrrrrreat. She was able to access the photos only by using the folder tree view, and clicking the '+' symbols to the actual directory. Lo and behold, upon returning, I have a similar problem. When I first inserted the memory cards into my All-in-one memory reader, I saw Norton flash something about W32Silly. With the two cards I used at the cafe, when Autoplay runs it comes up completely blank. In 'My Computer,' the drive with the pictures has the icon of an unassociated file, and if I try to access the drive it brings up a box asking to choose a program to open it. However, if I use the folder tree view from windows explorer, I can access the photos, and the cards still work fine in the camera. The problem doesn't seem to have spread to my other cards. I've scanned my computer as well as the cards individually, but no sign of the 'Silly' worm.

I haven't noticed any other issues with my computer other than the CD/DVD drive acting flaky, but I need more experimentation to determine the fault there.

If you can help my memory cards work correctly and ensure there isn't an underlying infection, I'd be much obliged. Thank you!!!

Tecmo Ted

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Please go to the Malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top. Especially the Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials page. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up most of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the cleanup process you are still having difficulty, and you may not be, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Please be patient as the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the Malware Section, please return to this thread. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this thread unless asked to do so and then only as an attachment. To attach log, when requested, either change the .log extension to .txt, or put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

Be sure to have them check the cards , too. If you made any Restore points, even they may be infected as well as any files that were exported for saving.

Please post back if your problem has been solved.

Ron

Related: W32.SillyDC

W32.SillyDC is a generic detection that detects variants of the W32.Silly family of worms that spreads by copying itself to removable media and may download other malicious applications.

Edited by Major Payne, 25 May 2008 - 08:13 PM.

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
There have actually been reports that memory cards are arriving the US with AutoPlay viruses/worms. They are/were configured so that you are unable to view the actual autoplay file and where the attack is occuring.

I found it interesting because I had bought an 8GB flash drive and when I first plugged it in, my security center recognized it as "Unwanted Malware."

TecmoBowlTed

TecmoBowlTed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
That is interesting indeed. Using the software from this site I've discovered that the offender is something called DiskKnight, and it is located in the autorun.inf file of my memory card. I reposted in the malware section as advised, so hopefully someone there can help me fight this dark knight. Interestingly enough, the file never copied onto my system or my other memory cards/removable media, but that may very well be due to Norton recognizing a threat and stifling it. I'd prefer if it could actually get RID of the threat, but hey, that's why this site is here!

Thanks,
Ted