Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

task bar issues

• Please log in to reply

ampgc

ampgc

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Gday everyone
Hoping someone can help me with a weird and wonderful random issue my laptop is having.

Periodically (but not always but frequent enough to send me crazy) after boot up the task bar and its associated programmes choose to be non clickable.
eg i have quick launch that wont open up

All my programmes far right are all exposed on the task bar as opposed to behind the arrow and the worse part is that the start menu doesnt open either.

I can use the windows shortcut on the keyboard that opens things up but if,for example,i have firefox open and outlook open i cant swap from one to the other without minimising on of them and then sometimes i cant even do that and have to open another firefox window.

Initially i thought it was the microsoft updates i had done so did a system restore which worked fine that once,didnt dl anymore updates and yet it has reverted back to this annoyance again.

Any thoughts and help gratefully received :)
*H*

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey ampgc, welcome to the Geeks To Go forum boards!

Regarding your issue,

I'm suspecting a few things.

Either:
1) You have insufficient memory available to be used
-You have processes that are draining your memory
2) You are infected with some sort of malware, that disallows you particular access.

To further assist you, I suggest you place your HiJackThis log into the following area:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

Edited by Rorschach112, 26 May 2008 - 06:17 AM.
Don't post malware advice

ampgc

ampgc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
thanks ipods I have posted it as suggested Fingers crossed
*H*

ampgc

ampgc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi again everyone
Back to square one sadly
After great help in the malware part sadly this is not the answer to my manic installer and non clickable taskbar
I DESPERATELY need some advice as i am now not even able to type for the flashing installer takes over everything.
Thanks again
*H*

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If system restore didn't work, then I would suggest that we look at an xp repair.

please see this guide: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

ampgc

ampgc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your advice
I am pleased to report the issues are now fixed
*H*