Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"This System is Shutting Down" [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

fisheyness

fisheyness

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi guys. My PC is currently affected by some sort of virus and cannot be used (unless you want to break it through continuous shutting down).
When I logged in, a pop-up appears that says the following: “This system is shutting down. Please save all your work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be
lost. This shutdown was initiated by ComputerName\User. Time before shutdown…”
I have read this up and found information in this site
Now, I also placed a topic on their forums... but their help didn't sort of help. I formatted my PC. It was all fine until it came back again after an installation I made. Approximately four days after re-format the pop-up reappeared.
Help is very much appreciated thanks guys!

Advertisements

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hello fisheyness, my name is fenzodahl512 and welcome to Geekstogo.. Please do the following..

Whenever the "computer will shut down in 60/30 seconds" box appears, navigate to Start --> Run, and copy/paste the following command, and press Enter

shutdown -a

NEXT

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) from HERE or HERE and save it to your Desktop.
  • Close all other windows before proceeding.
  • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
  • Please let your firewall allow the scanning/downloading process.
  • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.
If you are using Vista, you need to right-click at dss.exe icon and choose Run as Administrator

Regards
fenzodahl512

fisheyness

fisheyness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello, fenzodahl512! Thank you for responding.
I have tried to stop the shutting down through 'shutdown -a' but before I could paste or type, the PC shuts down.
My friends have recommended a reformat. They believe that it (the virus) is in one of the three partitions. So, they took it to the shop to have it fixed.
Thank you for the help.
(Should I scan the other partitions for the virus?)
Thanks again.
fishey

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hello, thanks for the reply :)

Have they bring the computer to the shop? Or have you re-format it?

(Should I scan the other partitions for the virus?)

Yes :)

fisheyness

fisheyness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi again.
I just met up with my friends. They were bringing my CPU along. They said that the shop couldn't figure it out so they cleaned the C: partition (the partition which contains the system files).

What anti-virus should I use to scan the other partitions?
(My PC has Nod32 installed...)

Thank you.
fishey

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts

What anti-virus should I use to scan the other partitions?
(My PC has Nod32 installed...)

NOD32 will be fine..

Please take your time to read below excellent articles..

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this excellent article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Please also read an excellent article by miekiemoes :Help! My computer is slow!

And another excellent article by CastleCops Malware Prevention: Prevent Re-infection

Please reply to this thread once more and tell us about the computer behaviour before we can close this thread :)

Have a safe and happy computing day!

Regards
fenzodahl512

fisheyness

fisheyness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you very much. I will see what I could find.
Again, thanks for the help!

Please reply to this thread once more and tell us about the computer behaviour before we can close this thread

And I will reply. I'll immediately send one if something comes up.

Again and again, thank you for the help!
fishey

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.