Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Drive Assigned to e:?

• Please log in to reply

maxima2k

maxima2k

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a relative take a look at his computer after he had one of those computer support companies fix his computer. But while trying to fix his computer, I noticed that the drive letter for the system drive was E: instead C:. Does anyone know if this is on purpose or is this just being sloppy? Also is there a way that I can change this back to C: without causing the system to be unbootable?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I had that happen on mine a while back. It was because I wasn't paying attention while I had other drives attached. Drove me nuts because it took on a different look (if I remember correctly).

The only way to fix it is a reformat of the system. Changing the drive letter of a bootable system will be disasterous.

Please wait more more responses.

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Its pretty much as 123Runner said.

Say for instance, there is a built in card reader attached to the motherboard, when Windows is installed, it allocates the card reader drives letters first and then allocates the Hard Disks with the next available letter.

The only way to change it is to reinstall windows completely....but attach any other drives that are attached, with the exception of the CD Drive!

Eli From NY

Eli From NY

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You can try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844, but since it's the boot drive, I don't think Windows will let you do it.